IGNORED

Emotiva Dac with JRiver Id - does it work?

Audiophile Neuroscience

Question

A friend of mine is wanting to buy a JRiver Id to connect directly to his USB DAC, an Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

The Emotiva manual states it supports UAC2 - USB Audio Class 2.

From the Interact forum JimH notes that Id has Debian (not Samba as stated in Wiki). A Linux distribution may support UAC2 but apparently still not work with a specific DAC.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an Id working with the Emotiva Stealth DC-1?

Cheers and thanks

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 answers to this question

On 11/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

A friend of mine is wanting to buy a JRiver Id to connect directly to his USB DAC, an Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

The Emotiva manual states it supports UAC2 - USB Audio Class 2.

From the Interact forum JimH notes that Id has Debian (not Samba as stated in Wiki). A Linux distribution may support UAC2 but apparently still not work with a specific DAC.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of an Id working with the Emotiva Stealth DC-1?

Cheers and thanks

Somebody’s misinformed.  Samba is a group of programs that use a common file sharing protocol and allow a Linux box to be a domain controller. With Samba (and similar programs), you can access files on Win machines and networks from Linux machines & vice versa.  Debian is an operating system on Linux kernels. The two are neither mutually exclusive nor determinants of compatibility between a computer and a DAC.

Samba is one way for the Id to access files on a Windows network share.  But this has nothing to do with driving the DAC - it’s how the file gets from the network to the Id. Once the file’s open in JRMC, it’s processed and sent to the DAC via USB.

The USB2 drivers in all current and recent versions of Debian, Ubuntu, and other major Linux distros are UAC2 compliant. My Stealth has worked fine with every device I’ve described in any of my posts and articles.  This includes NUCs running multiple Linux distros, Raspberry Pis with many different OSs, Win10 PCs, an Asus Chromebox, a 2005 Toshiba Satellite laptop on Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu Studio 20, etc.

Anything is possible, but I know of no reason why a DC1 wouldn’t work with a JRMC Id.  Mine has played fine with dozens of diverse computers on many Linux platforms both old and new.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:55 AM, bluesman said:

Somebody’s misinformed.  Samba is a group of programs that use a common file sharing protocol and allow a Linux box to be a domain controller. With Samba (and similar programs), you can access files on Win machines and networks from Linux machines & vice versa.  Debian is an operating system on Linux kernels. The two are neither mutually exclusive nor determinants of compatibility between a computer and a DAC.

Samba is one way for the Id to access files on a Windows network share.  But this has nothing to do with driving the DAC - it’s how the file gets from the network to the Id. Once the file’s open in JRMC, it’s processed and sent to the DAC via USB.

The USB2 drivers in all current and recent versions of Debian, Ubuntu, and other major Linux distros are UAC2 compliant. My Stealth has worked fine with every device I’ve described in any of my posts and articles.  This includes NUCs running multiple Linux distros, Raspberry Pis with many different OSs, Win10 PCs, an Asus Chromebox, a 2005 Toshiba Satellite laptop on Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu Studio 20, etc.

Anything is possible, but I know of no reason why a DC1 wouldn’t work with a JRMC Id.  Mine has played fine with dozens of diverse computers on many Linux platforms both old and new.

Thanks David for the reply and clarification.

This will be a first for me using a Linux operating system. I will be setting up JRiver MC on the id for a friend and for which it has been purchased.

The id has been purchased and shipped 5 November 2020 and am still waiting for the delivery here in Australia 28 November. The good folk at J River warned me that there would be delays. I should check the tracking link!

Cheers

Sound Minds Mind Sound