IGNORED

Alternative to squeezebox?

I don't have a squeezebox and it looks very promising but I always like to confuse myself. Is there a squeezebox alternative? I want the wireless capability but don't need the on-board DAC for example. I'm not talking about an Olive or Vortex appliance. Something that pulls wireless, lossless 1 and 0's to a home theater receiver. Thanks. Great site again.

Sonos is the first that comes to mind. But this just does 16/44

Then there are the higher end guys all jumping into the market, Niam, Linn (doesnt do wireless) PSAudio and its DAC bridge..and others. Now even Weiss :)

Seems everyone is or about to jump on the upnp streaming bandwagon...

Dont forget Apple and its airport express. Apple is the big Elephant in the room here, if they end up streaming from itunes straight into upnp enabled devices....

You can do this now with programs like eyeconnect....

Check your receiver. I might have upnp enabled already. But most of these still need hardwire ethernet.

Almost all these add on streamers like Squeezebox have a DAC of some sort. Most have a digital out you can use to bypass thus and run into whatever you want...

But one for one you'd have to say Sonos is the most direct comparison...

But I'll qualify this by adding I have 9 zoneplayers :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 10 months later...

I can't think of any IP solutions that claim lossless audio beyond 16/44 that run well on a wireless network. I would think that would be pretty bandwidth intensive even on 802.11n. What about non-IP options that run on dedicated bandwidth? There might be some options there that use USB dongles or something.

Sonos and Squeezebox are both great products, but beyond that there is also the audio|acacia whole house audio software from a new company called Plethra (www.plethra.com). It plays to Apple AirPlay devices and network attached computers and claims digital audio out so you can use your own DAC.