IGNORED

RPI 3B+ & DigiOne (not Sig) HiRes limited to 16 bit 44.1kHz

music_icp

Hi,

New member here, hoping for some help.

I have a DigiOne player (RPI3b+ & DigiOne), powered by the standard RPI wallwart PSU, connected to the DAC in an Audiolab 8200CD, which is connected to my hifi amp. 

The Audiolab DAC is capable of playing 24 bit 96 kHz files, via USB input or via SPDIF coax but I can't find any way to get the RPI/DigiOne to output sound higher than 16 bit 44.1kHz.

I don't have another SPDIF source capable of outputting hi res files but I have used a windows 10 laptop via USB connection to achieve 24 bit 96kHz (which I can see via the DAC's display). I had to change windows sound settings to output at the correct quality but it works.

I started using the SPDIF output on the DigiOne (as that's what it's there for), using Volumio. I signed up to a trial of Tidal and MyVolumio and tried using the native Tidal support in Volumio. I am playing Master Quality files but they are only showing as 16 bit 44.1kHz on the DAC. I then tried outputting the sound directly to the DAC via USB from the RPI (as I know I can get 96kHz from my laptop) but that didn't work either. As far as I can tell, I've been through all the settings in Volumio and can't seem to fix this.

I also tried streaming Tidal to Moode using BubbleUPNP from an android phone but again, can't get above 16 bit and 44.1kHz.

I'm new to streaming in this way but work in IT and reasonably technically minded. Really scratching my head on this though, any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, music_icp said:

Hi,

New member here, hoping for some help.

I have a DigiOne player (RPI3b+ & DigiOne), powered by the standard RPI wallwart PSU, connected to the DAC in an Audiolab 8200CD, which is connected to my hifi amp. 

The Audiolab DAC is capable of playing 24 bit 96 kHz files, via USB input or via SPDIF coax but I can't find any way to get the RPI/DigiOne to output sound higher than 16 bit 44.1kHz.

I don't have another SPDIF source capable of outputting hi res files but I have used a windows 10 laptop via USB connection to achieve 24 bit 96kHz (which I can see via the DAC's display). I had to change windows sound settings to output at the correct quality but it works.

I started using the SPDIF output on the DigiOne (as that's what it's there for), using Volumio. I signed up to a trial of Tidal and MyVolumio and tried using the native Tidal support in Volumio. I am playing Master Quality files but they are only showing as 16 bit 44.1kHz on the DAC. I then tried outputting the sound directly to the DAC via USB from the RPI (as I know I can get 96kHz from my laptop) but that didn't work either. As far as I can tell, I've been through all the settings in Volumio and can't seem to fix this.

I also tried streaming Tidal to Moode using BubbleUPNP from an android phone but again, can't get above 16 bit and 44.1kHz.

I'm new to streaming in this way but work in IT and reasonably technically minded. Really scratching my head on this though, any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Forwarded PM please check

• 6 months later...

Hey,

Im also new in this world and just build my first decent system, Numan Reference 801 Speakers, Atoll IN30 Integrated amplifier, Topping E30 DAC and Raspberry Pi 3B+ with the allo digione HAT.

I have got the same problem. Also using Tidal and tried all kinds of Master quality music but no matter what my dac is only displaying 44.1 kHz.

It Would be very nice to let me know how you solved the problem.

Thanks and Greetings from Germany,😄

18 minutes ago, Wemsor said:

Hey,

Im also new in this world and just build my first decent system, Numan Reference 801 Speakers, Atoll IN30 Integrated amplifier, Topping E30 DAC and Raspberry Pi 3B+ with the allo digione HAT.

I have got the same problem. Also using Tidal and tried all kinds of Master quality music but no matter what my dac is only displaying 44.1 kHz.

It Would be very nice to let me know how you solved the problem.

Thanks and Greetings from Germany,😄

Forgot to say I’m running Volumio

Don't be insulted by the questions, but are we sure we have all the master quality settings turned on, in both Tidal and Volumio?

Have we tried streaming with the Tidal app (even from a Windows PC) to the Pi - digi One with Master settings on? At least that way you could narrow down the source of the problem if a direct output from Tidal to the Pi does give you high res. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

18 hours ago, firedog said:

Don't be insulted by the questions, but are we sure we have all the master quality settings turned on, in both Tidal and Volumio?

Have we tried streaming with the Tidal app (even from a Windows PC) to the Pi - digi One with Master settings on? At least that way you could narrow down the source of the problem if a direct output from Tidal to the Pi does give you high res. 

I double checked all settings at Tidal and

Volumio.

I didn’t notice earlier but the Topping E30 DAC is displaying everything as PCM even though Volumio is set to DSD Direct. Don’t know if that’s of importance.

When I connect my MacBook to the DAC via usb and I play Orphèe by Jóhann Jóhannsson it gives me the correct 96.4 kHz because my DAC has no MQA decoding anyways.

Next I played the same tracks again with the MacBook on RPI3B+ digione streamer via Volumio and Tidal. The DAC now displayed 48.2 kHz.

Now when I’m using the Tidal app on my IPhone to connect to the Pi, volumio and the DAC show 44.1 kHz

E7DEE08F-0DA4-4AF3-8C3B-E7926E7759DA.jpeg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...