IGNORED

M.2 NVMe SSD for OS

phusis

41 minutes ago, phusis said:

(with all due respect to poster @ray-dude's awesome build) Exactly my point; is that necessarily telling of the Optane's sonic strength compared to cheaper alternatives, also with impressive latency, power consumption and read/write speeds? If the Optane is still in a slight(?) lead in regards to latency and power consumption specs, how much does it matter as it pertains to actually perceived, audible impressions? It seems to me the Optane has become the default go-to item as boot memory, following the lead of a few other individuals, that as of late - or ever, really? - hasn't undergone testing against cheaper M.2 NVMe devices, devices that I gather would still make a worthwhile difference compared to SATA SSD's here?

As poster @lmitche wrote:

Why would the Optane be exclusive to these traits?

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll keep it in mind for future (Windows Server) consideration, but as is isn't an option being that I use the consumer variant of Windows 10 (Pro 64-bit) and therefore takes up too much space.  

It's not doubt over the SGM Extreme as such (I can only gather it must be a sonic bliss as a server-source device), but sure; the only way I can ever become the wiser on my inquiry or otherwise get some first-person perspective into the matter is to roll up my sleeves, pony up the dough and start comparing a bunch M.2 NVMe devices. I'd just appreciate some insight into whether others has done similarly and learn of their views to begin with, but going by your evasive answer it would seem it's a limited field of experience.  

My Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD (500GB) should arrive tomorrow, and I would expect the upcoming weekend to have some first impressions ready. We'll see..

Thanks for your insights so far. 

There are much better out there cheaper now and Optane is not PCIE 4.0 compliant as some of the newer M.2 drives are.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Two reasons:

1) The Optane drives are not made from silicon rather an amorphous material that was invented by the same fellow that invented the Nickel Metal Hydride batteries used in hybrid cars. His name is Stanford R. Ovshinsky.

2) Optane drives random write memory speed and latency is faster than anything else out there. Our music players are constantly spitting out data writes in small block sizes that Optane excels at.

I recently tested new silicon nvme drives from Samsung and Intel and Optane beats them hands down.

Larry

Problem is you really can't compare since it is a proprietary system, for the Intel Optane. They are smaller and cost WAY more.

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-optane-memory-everything-you-need-to-know/

Very informative.

AMD's StoreAMI software will do the exact same thing.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

35 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The Optane implementations used here and by Taiko Audio do not use the hard disk caching ability of Optane drives. The Optane is only used as an SSD storing OS and metadata files. Indeed over here AMD processors are used with Optane drives. 

Intel Caching and AMD StoreAMI are irrelevant functions that would degrade SQ.

Prove it. I don't think so. People keep treating digital music files like they are made of special magic fairy dust. if you have issues with music files, you will have issues with other digital files. Noise affects them also, especially pictures and videos.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Well, sort of. It's not possible to listen to Excel or Word files, so if there are a few pixels missing, who's to know.

Digital audio files include parasitic crud from the computer playback system which is free but no one wants. The crud can and does significantly affect sound-stage dimensions most noticeably height, in my system(s) anyway. 

But it is possible to have small corruptions inthem. It is the software that you use that corrects that.

Sometimes, audiophiles think everything they do is special. It isn't.

I mean streaming videos 4K Atmos for example) and games takes WAY more bandwidth than any music file.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590