IGNORED

Grounding

10 hours ago, Speedskater said:

How true, how true.

It's a non-functional waste of money.  It doesn't do any tasks at all.

Except perhaps act as an antenna and pick up more RF/EMI which may make some lacking systems sound a little more "interesting"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

11 hours ago, Speedskater said:

But back to the real question. There are two ground systems involved.  The Safety Ground/Protective Earth system and the connection to Planet Earth system.

In an audio system, it's best to have all the units Safety Ground/Protective Earth connected together with short AC cords. Do not add jumper wire to double insulated units (square in a square safety symbol.

Do not add any wires from the audio equipment to Planet Earth.

Nevertheless, John Swenson reported an audible advantage in many cases when earthing the 0 volts side of an  SMPS powered device.

I obtained an improvement with the audio from Coax Out of an STB by doing this, but used a 10 ohm earth as a direct earth appeared to  sound not quite as good, perhaps due to a minor earth loop, although still better than without it

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

15 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

what would be a good target reading to hit?

Telstra (Australia) had a maximum resistance of 30 ohms for their Payphones and customers P.A.B.X installations, and this wasn't always easy to achieve in some areas. It used to be measured from the local Telephone Exchange .,

Some of the linesmen appeared to achieve improved readings after a liquid lunch. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fas42 said:

My current setup uses just 2 double insulated devices, only connected via an optical cable

Are you able to use Coax SPDIF ?

10 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

1) Separate earth Rod/spike  for all HIFI Ground. Not connected to property ground. Resistance from earth rod/spike say is 10ohms

That low a resistance is not normally achievable without a network of connected earth rods, and will substantially degrade under prolonged dry conditions. 25 ohms is a more realistic target based on my testing experience in this area with Telstra (Au.) 

• 2 months later...

In addition to what Barrows has said above , I would add that earthing some SMPS powered devices as John Swenson has described, can also often result in worthwhile improvements. However, you still need to be careful about creating additional earth loops.  In the case of a Set Top Box whose Coax SPDIF is connected to my main DAC, it did result in an improvement, but not as much as when I used a series 10 ohm resistor to connect it to mains earth instead.

My main concern here is that other members may also try to do something like you have done resulting in an unsafe situation and potentially a fatality.

It would have been better if you had not posted a diagram for all to see, and only sent it via PM on request.

I will also point out that the mains supplies in the U.K., Australia, New Zealand etc. are WAY more dangerous to do DIY things like this than in the USA , and even qualified electricians get killed too, as happened again here recently in Australia.

My advice would be to not fiddle around with the hardwired mains supply at all, other than perhaps replace inferior receptacles where legally permitted.

This is NOT permitted in Australia either due to safety concerns.

Other members should remember too, that you should ALWAYS get permission from your Insurance company, because if you have a fire, due to an electrical fault, even if what you did was safe, that they will not pay your claim.

As Barrows has said, there are better ways to improve the RF/EMI situation, and some will cost less than paying an electrician to do speciality work.

Alex

6 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

@austinpop due to different regulations from different countries with regards to mains supply. I and other members here think it would be best if my setup schematics throughout this thread be deleted. Certainly wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt because of different countries regulations. I suggest you delete all my posts on this thread. 

Thanks

Hopkins is the OP here. You could also ask Chris to remove selected items rather than remove the lot

Chris is also able to edit your posts and insert warnings if you feel that is a good idea

Kind Regards

Alex

6 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Thanks sorry thought you could moderate. 

Just ask Chris to insert warnings. The discussion itself was interesting.