IGNORED

Need Help identifying / Correcting PC Audio Hiss

LoryWiv

12 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Brief Update: No major discoveries, hiss persists even using a solid state amplifier, trying new RCA cables, a few other tweaks. Probable diagnosis is mild tinnitus accentuated by focused listening through my desktop headphone rig. I have already partly acclimated to it such that I can still enjoy the music, will continue lower volume listening / magnesium supplementation and hope for improvement with the passage of more time. Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Life goes on!

I doubt its tinnitus. Have had tinnitus for about 8 years now... its not a white noise like hiss but rather a constant pitch that varies day to day in perceived db level. Its more likely that a component in your PC has aged and is generating noise into the USB circuit. You may want to consider a USB isolater/regenerator. My tinnitus reminds me very much of the high frequency pitch from the back of a 25" color TV picture tube

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Thank you, I'm grateful for any insight into ANY correctable factors. That said, I've tried iGalvanic & iSilencer w/o benefit and have a Singxer SU-1 DDC between PC and DAC, so I'd thought PC noise origin less likely. Could it be the Singxer itself? Odd, as it's been in place over a year and all solid state. What do you think, @davide256?

Try another USB source first and see if the hiss disappears. Even a smart phone should suffice

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

10 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Thank you @davide256 and @sandyk. Sadly, i did the definitive experiment with HP on ear but disconnected from amp. The low level hiss is present. Clearly a form of tinnitus. Not troublesome during most activities of daily life but upon focused listening to music, especially classical piano solo which is my favorite genre, it is readily apparent and a bit distracting.

I believe the task at hand for me is to acclimate, keep listening levels below 80 dB (c) or so I don't make it worse. I have an SPL meter and seal the HP around it's mic, admittedly not rigorously accurate but should keep me in the right ballpark. I have tried my older pair of 64 Audio custom IEM's, as well as Sen HD280 closed backs to see if HP types other than my "daily driver" open back ZMF Auteur accentuate it less, and no appreciable  impact.  

I'm grateful for your interest and support.

Assuming its tinnitus, the two things I've found make it worse are fatigue and colds/flu. Good sleep, avoid listening when fatigued and guafenesin for

cold caused lymph node swelling pressure on the ear are the tools I use to minimize tinnitus interference with listening. Improving equipment

does helps reduce the listening fatigue factor 😉

Regards,

Dave

Audio system