IGNORED

iPhone 12 WTF?

A benefit of removing ports is that the device becomes more water resistant.  Apple can determine if an iPhone brought in for repair has suffered water damage.  As such they know how often this kind of damage occurs - and that's what lead them to remove the headphone port, for example.  Water damage can often lead to a phone needing to be replaced, which is a costly amount to cover if one does't have Apple Care.  

The Apple Watch ships with a small wireless charger that's smaller than the SMPS that powers it.  If Apple does away with the Lightning port, likely they include something like this in the box.  

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to mock Apple's design choices, but Apple's batting average is pretty good in that area.  

My hope is that a port is retained on the "Pro" models (and it becomes USB-C instead).  Apple might be smart though to seal up the cheaper products - like the SE - as folks who purchase these models are less likely to be in a position to spend the cash to replace a damaged iPhone.  One time when I was at an Apple store waiting for a genius, I sat next to a person who had just learned that they'd have to replace their iPhone.  It was obvious this individual was distraught over having to shell out that kind of cash.  Tough news to have to deliver to a customer.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

16 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Well this is good to know.  If I drive my car in to a lake while attempting to charge a portless phone at least the phone will work.

It's not even certain they will do this.  You also have the option not to buy it if they do.   

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

12 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Thanks, yet another reason for me to stick with my corded landline phone. My current phone cost me $6 from Walmart. The one it replaced was $10 and it lasted for over ten years, that works out to $1 per year.

An iPhone is best thought of as a handheld computer that, amongst other things, can also make phone calls.  A landline phone isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison (pun intended).  It's the capabilities that the handheld computer provide that justify the price (for some).