IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

On 6/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow. Very similar. 

I love my UniFi stuff. USG Pro > fiber > XG 16 > fiber > Sonore opticalRendu. 

I turned the USG Pro WAN2 port into LAN so I can run fiber to everything internal. Not sure why they only have SFP ports for the WAN on that router. 

Hi Chris,  Would you happen to have the "how to" link/instructions?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Udis, I'm not sure if there is a how-to on this one, but here are the screens where you can make the changes. 

Click on your USG Pro so the right little window pane opens. Then click on the Ports icon. Then click Configure Interfaces.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.20.47 PM.png 

Here you can select Port WAN2 network and change it to you LAN or whatever you've named it. Then you are fiber from the router into your entire network. I wish I could the fiber that comes into my house directly into this router and bypass the ONT. CenturyLink isn't up for that they told me. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 3.21.00 PM.png

thank you. I didn't realize I first need to disable the LAN1 port in order to select LAN for WAN2. Which SPF modules are you using to connect the router to switch? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm using M.2 drives to hold the 20GB Roon database, per Roon recommendations. This is where speed matters, not the spinning drives serving up 100MB tracks at a time. 

Hi Chris, I am currently attempting to configure a similar setup with TVS-672XT. Question about the M.2 drives. Since you are using these to run roon database, did you enable "Cache accelerator" for these drives? If so, what did you set the overprovisioning to? thanks.. Udi 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

If I understand you correctly, you're taking about SSD cache acceleration (link). I didn't enable this because I don't have files stored on a spinning drive that I need extremely quick access to and that aren't already delivered fast enough. Is this the same acceleration you're talking about? 

Yes. That's exactly what I am referring to. thanks.

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I go for simplicity and speed on the QNAPs. Static volumes on the M.2 drives are fastest and easiest. 

Do they share a volume or is each on a separate static volume. Sorry if I am missing something obvious. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The way I used them, they don’t share a volume because there is no need. Just straight up one drive one volume. 

Got it! And the backup designation is set in Roon and not a job you’ve created in a QNAP backup app?

On 7/17/2020 at 7:23 PM, EvilTed said:

Create 2 storage pools, for example:

1. System

2. Data

In System, create a thick volume and in this put the M.2 drives in RAID 0.

This will double the performance of using the SSD stand alone.

You can now install QNAP OS and all your applications on the System Volume, including ROON.

In Data, setup the RAID pattern of your choice.

I prefer RAID 10 because it is faster than RAID 5 or 6 and it has a lower rebuild times (minuscule compared to 5 or 6).

With a Thick Volume you can use SnapShots.

As I've already mentioned, SnapShots are your friend.

TimeMachine on the Mac uses SnapShots.

You can restore anything backwards in time so long as you have a SnapShot taken on that day.

I take a daily SnapShot and save it for a 2 weeks.

If you are using HBS 3+ to sync your music files or other NAS data to the Cloud, you have probably setup encrypted jobs from your NAS.

This takes time to setup and is a PITA to do over from scratch.

If you SnapShot the volume and store it on an external USB then this is easy to restore.

You can also replicate a copy offsite, if you wish.

HTH

thanks @EvilTed  am I correct to assume that in order to move the QNAP os to the m2 drives I need to remove all hdd, leave m2 in, boot up and reinstall the os? Does that mean I need to wipe out the current hhds?

On 7/17/2020 at 7:23 PM, EvilTed said:

SnapShot the volume and store it on an external USB then this is easy to restore.

Thank you @EvilTed I will give it a shot... question about the above statement. Reading qnap "how to" https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/tutorial/article/using-snapshots-in-qts-4-3-4/ I do not see an option to save snapshot to an external USB drive. Is this easy to do? Also, what is the typical snapshot to storage ratio? I have about 20TB... and curious how big of a USB drive I need.