IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

Just a hunch and not taking into account Chris's extra large DB + files count, I see similar questions regarding delay's on various forums.  Although I don't see said behaviors much if ever ( super long searches or just general bogged down experiences at times), I would venture to guess many of these types of issues have to do with the streaming integration - which if I understand, ROON only has so much control of.  The way ROON processes and manages the metadata went through a major change fairly recently (cloud) if I recall

I don't stream, use local only library (files located on NAS), have a decent sized footprint (4200 albums), use managed switch/fiber home network and don't see these issues some experience.  I have a Qobuz account (only for purchasing) and I am usually logged in via ROON just for visibility of additional albums, artists etc..but it is slower having that extra service logged in. 

Whenever I perform ROON updates (set to manual), I log out of the streaming services first, reboot everything, perform the update and go on my way. 

Anyway just my .02

My rig

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Crom, yeah Roon’s db works best on Windows but I always have an issue when storing my music on a NAS. Because of the limitations of CIFS / network shares, Roon can’t update the database when new music is added without a scan. 

I apologize if I'm missing something here.  I have been on lifetime roon for several yrs and have had my music stored on a Qnap NAS since day one. I run a headless win10 wkst running roon server/core and have never ever had to scan.  Anytime I modify music (add new, delete, modify metadata) on the music share (NAS), roon immediately recognizes the changes and updates accordingly? 

My rig

38 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Foggie, great to hear it's working for you. 

I've used a Windows 10 + Synology system and a Roon ROCK + QNAP system and neither one would recognize new music quickly. I wish I could remember if the Synology was using SMBv3 and if that mattered with respect to newly added music discovery. 

That makes zero sense.  I can't recall of hearing this before, weird.  I mean there isn't even a lag, its pretty instant.  My server does have a mapped drive to music share on NAS - not that that is related to the roon setting, but just mentioning it.

Not to state the obvious, but the share ACL's obviously need to be set properly R,W etc...  Maybe its your DB size, dunno.  Wish I had an answer as having to force a scan as well as the reboots you eluded to really go against the design intent of such a platform.

My rig

I must not be fully understanding this, sorry, lol.  In Roon my watched folder setting is disabled.

There is a setting below that where you input a hard coded address (NAS share point / very top level folder) which is what I have set if I recall. I’ll have to look when I have access.

My rig

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

but I have 1 Gbps up/down fiber into my house and no data caps. The fact that it's $65 per month is crazy and I thank my lucky stars every day

Wow that's nuts. xfinity or something else?

My rig