IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 2 of 5)

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

So then we see a retraction from Taiko that the Roon update did not affect sound quality

did I miss something? If the reviewer heard "significant adverse impact" after this Roon update while no other changes were made, and then discovers there was no adverse impact, doesn't that cast some doubt about the whole review?

Yes, I am extremely skeptical that the "extreme" measures taken by this device are beneficial.  I think it is "extremely" likely that when someone spends $30K they expect to hear significant improvements and it is well proven we often hear what we want to or expect to hear.  I will wait for further explanation, but it does raise the  the "extremely" logical question about expectation bias.

I believe there were Taiko changes made that had an impact.

I'll be happily corrected if wrong though.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Okay thanks for that.

Some maintain optical isolation is superior so it I am wondering why this was not included as a digital interface option. It almost certainly (?) would have been considered in the design stages and rejected.

The matrix DDC appears only to have Toslink out, not SFP or ST glass. I am not sure Toslink is the best optical choice?

I guess they are going for the best USB audio implementation in their products.

Audiophiles pretty much got rid of Toslink years ago. Plus, it has very limited bandwidth. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png