IGNORED

Why do most audiophile prefer passive speakers?

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, Khaos said:

I happened upon this thread while listening to my passive Boston Acoustic speakers that have been hanging under the eave of my home here in MN since 1995 and sound as clean, crisp, and deep as the day I bought them! 🙃 Lol

Unlike silicone wafers, Lithium batteries, and various precious metals destined for landfills across the globe; analog is a physical media that it isn't as well designed for filling landfills.

Drops analog mic (which I don't fret about breaking), picks up ball, and snickers home...

I have a hard time figuring out how you have had speakers outside your house, in MN no less, for 26 years and they are still in perfect working order?

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, Khaos said:

I've never taken them down, even in -40F degree temps. Only clean them once in a while and check the connections. They're connected by 14 gauge monster cable, which I got when the company sold good quality.

Really impressed.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, loop7 said:

As others have said, passive speakers are critical to the hobby aspect of the audiophile. Most of my music listening is via active speakers which has been the case for 18 months now.

So, here's a question:

Does anyone wonder if companies such as Wilson Audio, Magico, Rockport, etc will ever design and build active main speakers?

I once asked a speaker manufacturer ($60,000 top price) if he thought his speakers might be better if active to which he replied "probably" but said it wouldn't be strategic which makes total sense.

I think that active speakers and DSP definitely have a place in audio and there is no doubt they can get better numbers out of them. Whether that translates to better music? I don't know.

No electron left behind.