IGNORED

MA Recordings DVD Rom Hi Res.

Hi all.

Just wanted to see if anyone here has purchased any of the new DVD Rom Hi Res discs from MA Recordings.  I ordered three:

• La Segunda 24bit/176.4 kHz
  • "Nama" 24bit/176.4 kHz
  • Opening 24bit/176.4 kHz

Eagerly awaiting arrival in Australia.

I have some lovely discs from MA including Peter Epsteine's "Staring at The Sun, but this a somewhat interesting format selection.

Interested if anybody has heard these and any thoughts?

Cheers

Rob.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Openings and it sounds superb. I have La Segunda on CD but not a fan of the music. I much prefer the Sera Una Noche release musically which I have at 24/96. Both are superb sonically. You can’t go wrong sonically with any of Todd’s releases but the music can be a bit, shall I say, challenging. Enjoy Them down under. 

My experience is similar to Joe's (I purchase everything from Todd as soon as he posts it).  Some of the music is challenging, but I've found that there is a common musical thread through his releases that I attribute to Todd himself.  In a subtle way, he is a part of the creative team on each of his recordings.  On the most challenging albums, I look for that thread, and it connects me back to a foundation to build on.  Listening to Todd's recordings has been akin to master class...I've learned so much about so many different kinds of music!

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Thanks Joe, Ray.

I received the discs two weeks ago.  What an interesting format.  Lots of details about the recording, photos and artwork.  I dumped all the files into my tagging software “Metadatics” and then onto the Aries Mini.  And listening to the music through my Chord DAVE and B & W D3’s is quite special!

I agree that some of the music is challenging and not completely up my alley but you have to marvel at the sound.  True Hi Res recordings!  The disc “Opening” is the best one for me comparison wise .  I own 300 or so ECM recordings and to me that really sets the standard sonically, jazz wise... but wow! Opening has this wonderful depth in sound that I honestly can’t hear in the ECM recordings... and that’s saying something.  You can actually hear the “room” it is recorded in. Stunning.

I also have the Peter Epstein dis “Staring at the Sun” from MA which is pretty cool too.
any other recommendations from MA either of you?  Thanks for replying.

Rob.

If you check out Part 1 of my Extreme Review, I list several MA tracks as go to reference tracks.  I highly recommend getting the MAonSA SACD sampler.  The SACD layer has ~70 minutes of music in DSD64, and the Redbook layer has ~70 minutes of different tracks.  It is basically 3 full albums of music from various recordings.

When I first got it and listened through, I promptly ordered 10(?) albums from Todd, so beware!  

If you don't have a SACD player and get the SACD, drop a PM we'll take care of you.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Hey.  Thanks.  I received a DVD ROM sampler from 2011 (?) with my order.  I guess you are not talking about that.?  I have an OPPO BD 105D As my SACD player as my Chord BLU CD transport does not okay SACD’s!!

i should go to the MA page to purchase the sampler yes?

thanks for getting back to me.

rob.

The only other I have  is the ito ema Goldberg Variations, which was recorded on tape and transferred to 24/176.4 , side A and B. I got it from Todd at the Capital  Audio Fest a few years ago. Another wonderful recording. Todd is definitely the king of space. I will have to look into  the Peter Epstein and the Nama. Todd ‘s stuff is pretty pricey though.