IGNORED

MMK installation troubles

I just installed the MMK power supply on my 2012 Mac Mini over the weekend. Reconnected everything, powered it up, got the sound, and then...screen only shows a file folder with a question mark. I followed the instructions, both on line and written, to a T. Can anyone assist? I have no idea how to trouble shoot. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Brian H said:

screen only shows a file folder with a question mark

means no OS found

check the HD was properly re-connected (and seated)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

...screen only shows a file folder with a question mark.

Hi Brian:

Welcome to the Audiophile Style forum—and thank you again for your purchase of our unique Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK).

@pl_svn is correct: The flashing icon you see means the boot ROM can not see a bootable drive.

In the 2012 Mac mini Apple’s propriety SATA drive cable has a funny flat square connector with a rubber pad on top. It presses down onto the logic board, and then the upper edge of the crescent-shaped plastic heat-pipe shroud is supposed to keep the connector from popping up—which is exactly what has happened in your machine to keep the drive from being seen.  Please check and correct that and I am sure you will be back in business.

If you continue to have difficulty, then please telephone and I will be glad to assist.

Happy Monday!

—Alex C.

It worked! And you were right. The pad on the cable had popped up (probably when I was fiddling with reattaching the antenna.) Thank you both so much. Also sounds like I am not the first where this has happened and that makes me feel a little more competent. 

Next question/recommendation. I have the original Regen and have installed the MMK using a Jameco power supply. Any suggestion on an upgrade path? Iso Regen or JS-2 first?

BTW, this upgrade is ridiculous bang for the buck. Immediate and readily apparent improvement.

6 hours ago, Brian H said:

Next question/recommendation. I have the original Regen and have installed the MMK using a Jameco power supply. Any suggestion on an upgrade path? Iso Regen or JS-2 first?

BTW, this upgrade is ridiculous bang for the buck. Immediate and readily apparent improvement.

Hi Brian:

Glad you got it working!

The best bang for your buck next upgrade (at least in the UpTone sphere) will depend upon overall context of the Mac in your system.  How about giving us a call later this week and we can chat about your options?  Tomorrow (Tuesday) is crammed with our packing and shipping another dozen JS-2s out, so anytime Wednesday or beyond would be great.

Phone is: 1-209-966-4377--after 9:00 a.m. Pacific time please.

Thanks,

--Alex C.