IGNORED

Rpi4 playback DSD files

nikolaos1969

57 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Well apart from RPi4, 2 GB I have ordered the hat hifiberry DIGI+PRO https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-pro/

in order to transport  with a minimum of electric noise to my amp. The problem is that optical and coaxial inputs does not support DSD. Only USB input of RPi4 support DSD. If I use USB input how to deal with electric noise?

With digi+ pro you can do up to dsd64

Stefano

My audio system

@nikolaos1969 .... why not try raspberry as it is, if you’ll not be satisfied due to electrical noise than you could go on this route as second step.

There are other usb regenerators like these:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iusb3-0/

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

.... there are different opinions about usb regenerators .... from “snake oil” up to the best solution at all ....

Stefano

My audio system

6 hours ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Can you pls explain the set up

This setup is to share the music library on the network, it is an alternative to a nas.

Ubuntu is a light Linux variant that requires very low power for itself.

Minimserver is a wonderful Upnp server ( https://minimserver.com ) with the exclusive functionality named Intelligent Browsing, very helpful especially with classical music.

Stefano

My audio system

43 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Because it is the first time using pi can you tell me all the steps for set up the music library which is on external disc

Using Volumio you have three options

usb connected hdd to the raspberry

lan connected nas

lan connected media server (MinimServer or other)

in the configuration settings of Volumio you’ll find them all

if you are starting just now to experiment I suggest you to start with the first option, very simple.
cannot be more precise as I don’t have Volumio installed any more but you can find a detailed user guide here https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Quick_Start_Guide.html

Stefano

My audio system

23 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

What do you use now to playback music files.

On raspberry I use GentooPlayer, for me it is a step forward compared to Volumio, the sound is more organic, detailed and there is more air around the instruments or the voice. It doesn’t have its own interface except for configure it (a little bit more complex compared to Volumio but not impossible), it must be used with a control point app on a tablet or smartphone.

Stefano

My audio system

7 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Can I use it via windows laptop. I also use android app for my smartphone.

Not with a laptop. On Android you could use apps like Bubbleupnp, Kazoo, Linn to mention some of the free ones.

I’m on iOS devices and cannot speak about Bubbleupnp (it is not available on iOS ) but for the others you should have an upnp server (like MinimServer I mentioned before) on the network, I don’t know how and if they work if your storage is usb connected to the raspberry.

Stefano

My audio system

6 hours ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Hi Stefano, are you happy with SOtM SMS-200 Neo, which software do you use?

I configured it to use MPD/dlna. I like it a lot, it is essential and the sound is going better every new firmware release. SOtM is a very careful company with a very good support and releases new firmware updates every 3/4 months.

My choice for MPD over LMS/Squeezelite is mainly due to the availability for MPD of a lot of control point apps (I choose Lumin app) that in conjunction with MinimServer can show a lot of metadata to choose what to play from my local library (I listen mainly classical music and this genre requires the availability of many tags to find exactly what to play).

Last but not least I have also two rpi4 configured with GentooPlayer and MPD enabled and I can manage them all with the same app.

Stefano

My audio system

32 minutes ago, nikolaos1969 said:

Hi Stefano, so via MPD you can manage 2 rpi4 but with which app ? I mainly listen to minimal music and my favorite musician is Rene Aubry, Emanuele Via, Max Richter, etc. would you recommend sMS-200ultra ?

I use Lumïn app. Due to recent Lumïn app update I had to install Bubbleupnpserver to maintain compatibility between the app and SOtM and raspberry/GentooPlayer and all is working fine. As a SOtM sms-200 user I can recommend it without any doubt, but I’m using the Neo version and not the Ultra, the Ultra is three times more expensive than the Neo and I cannot guarantee it is three times better. I think the Neo is very well balanced in price/performances terms.

Stefano

My audio system