IGNORED

CD Availability Nearing It's End And The Consequences

19 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

No question, especially in the early days of the introduction of cd's, the digital signature was simply too strident and analyitcal in many cases. As the years went on,  the masterings for CD's, the DAC and digital sections in the players improved. Thats why cd's became the choice for something on the order 80- 90% of audiophiles who, over time, dumped vinyl as the format they purchased. Out of perhaps a dozen serious audiophiles and musicophiles that I personally know well, only two have been long term, primary vinyl only users all this time.  

I recall the last large scale Detroit area audio show, The AK Fest, perhaps a dozen or so years back. Out of nearly fifty rooms where components and systems were being demoed, only four had turntables and vinyl in evidence. The vast majority were cd based demoes, along with a few reel to reels as sources, and perhaps ten early adapter laptop and digital file based rooms using Amarra, as I recall. That was the status quo at the time. 

To each his own as far as what format they pledge allegiance to.

I am just very concerned that my future ability to be able to access some music that I easily can now, will be gone with the disappearance of the cd format for reasons I noted in my previous post. And again, the music from the many less known groups/individuals that I always will be unavailable to me in any remaining format.   

JC

People almost always prefer the convenient to the best. May I conclude from your handle that you are familiar with tube audio? Me too, and I like the sound of tube audio much more than sound from transistor, but I have long since switched to solid state equipment.

15 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

One wonders how a industry which has "contempt" for customers has lasted for 100 years. The sins of the industry are an outrage.  From the theft of recording revenue from the founding Black blues artists and other, perhaps unschooled young stars....it still goes on today.

You would think that at some point someone would be driven to extreme retribution.   

The same is true for any type of industry.