IGNORED

In search of speakers that are more efficient

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am in the middle of assembling a new system here for myself, and am strongly considering SET amplification, or no more than 40-45 watts of 211 tube power. I am not sure yet...

Anyway, I am not up to date on the realm of more efficient speakers, my current pair are Sonus Faber Olympica 1s with a 4 ohm / 87db rating, not exactly efficient.

So, where do I need to be looking and listening?

Thanks.

edit: If it matters, the room is 15.5 x 14 feet with a flat ceiling and will be treated.

Not to belabor things, but it seems backwards to look for speakers for an amp. Typically I do the reverse. For that matter, there is one heck of a big difference between SET and 45-50 watts. 50 watts typically implies a push pull amp which is anything but SET. Weren't you recently looking for an amp to drive HPs? Are you looking to put pair these with that?

I've been down the single driver route(plus sub?). It was great for a chick and her guitar or chamber music, but always left me wanting with other material. There is only so much one can do with a 6" driver and a whizzer cone. If I were to go back there, I'd look into something Lowther based instead of horn based in a room that size. I must admit that I have a bit of a love affair with Tannoy though.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz