IGNORED

One man's Jewels; another man's Junk or Load

Iving

I've always looked at it somewhat selfishly. It is my hobby. I don't feel the need to justify it. Anything I might sell it for later is a bonus for me or whomever. I feel that I must add it seems you are underestimating the effort it takes to sell things. It's work.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 2/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, Iving said:

If I read you right, I agree it takes a lot of time-consuming work to sell records etc online. Sifting, research, valuation, cleaning and restoration, photographing, accurate listing speaking the buyers' language, dealing courteously with enquiries, negotiating, packing (shellac demands particular care), prompt shipping, feedback etc. 

All of this is a barrier to liquidating our media assets.

And even more so if what we own is inherited by others without the same passion and experience.

No, I think you missed that I do not feel that selling the equipment will be as easy as you indicated either. I happen to have A LOT of excess equipment in part because of this. Selling an item to a hobbyist is much more time consuming than to a business or lay person. I am a bit amazed by some of the questions and concerns I have encountered not to mention deals gone awry for something silly or stupid.

Forrest:

46 minutes ago, Iving said:

omg the number of collections I have come across that are mould-ridden from that same cause (having been stored in the shed or garage for years)! tbh I don't understand it. It's another (intolerance) weakness of mine, but I cannot understand how anybody can treat such beautiful objects as vinyl records with anything other then reverence. Or treat CDs as frisbees/beer mats etc.

Not to pick on you, but I just don't understand the confusion. This reminds me of my mother. She spent most of her adult life developing a very intensely manicured garden. Upon having a stroke she was upset that no one wanted to under take the care and management of it. I told her that I had a business to run, my own hobbies and a yard that needed tending to as well. I just didn't have the extra 20 hours a week to manage her project. My point is, that this is a hobby, and not a super popular one at that. It might help you to keep in mind that no one cares about this other than us. If you need a recipient or caretaker for your collection of hobby stuff, you might consider assigning that duty on your own ahead of time.

Forrest:

7 minutes ago, Iving said:

I get that you didn't want to assume responsibility for your mother's garden - doing it her way. Other people might have. I completely get that you didn't want to (or couldn't).

I am sorry if I sound harsh, but I merely meant that one man's labor of love is another person's chore. It is (IMO) delusional to think anyone will care about it as much as you - if at all.

Forrest:

3 minutes ago, Iving said:

Honest Q - You have the same dilemma. If you drop dead today, who inherits the problem?

Sadly my sister does, I have no children. The audio stuff would be the simplest dilemma even though there is a lot of it. At least someone can carry this stuff. My shop would be the hard part.

Forrest:

4 minutes ago, Iving said:

I think many people have this kind of problem. imo discussion-worthy. Perhaps our "audiophilia" adds a lot of flavour to the issue.

Perhaps, but I KNOW audio adds a lot of flavor to my life.

Forrest: