IGNORED

Time resolution of digital sampling

Don Hills

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Compare two files, one with a steady tone, the other the same but with a single missing sample at 44.1kHz sample rate. As I understand it volume may need to be reasonably high.

Like this?

sine1missing.thumb.png.97c465bd8b3f515ba5a2d45792419495.png

15 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Suppose I have a normal song of a couple of minutes; now each other second I silence (manipulate the file) one sample (16/44.1).

Like this?

musiclongmissing.thumb.png.122ae03398781e84cbb1232853994352.png

If yes then:

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Can you tell which file contains the missing sample?

Yes, listen sine0missing.flac vs sine1missing.flac

15 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Would we readily hear that ?

Depending on the definition of "readily", but yes, listen musiclong.flac vs musiclongmissing.flac (it is 15 seconds long instead of minutes, but should be enough for an example)

Assuming that is what you both wanted, what is this test supposed to illustrate?

On 9/30/2020 at 6:22 PM, Jud said:

Kunchur I believe comes out at about half the time of previous studies. But the previous studies IIRC identified a limit of about 10ns, Kunchur about 5.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

if I recall correctly, other experimenters found a time for minimum noticeable difference between two non-simultaneous signals about double that of Kunchur, about 10ns vs. Kunchur's 5.

Not ns (nanoseconds) but µs or us (microseconds).

4 hours ago, Jud said:

the other experimental work in this area appears to show we can notice timing differences smaller than 1/20,000th of a second.

Of course this isn't the same issue as whether we can hear signals above 20kHz

For inter-channel delays there are files generated at 24/192 with n-sample delays between channels and converted to 16/44:

1 sample delay = 5.2 uSec
2 sample delay = 10.4 uSec
3 sample delay = 15.6 uSec
4 sample delay = 20.8 uSec

I was able to ABX the 20us version. There was a guy who was able to ABX the 10us version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

I created animated graph of a square wave, its wave front moving toward left.

I did an impulse some time ago: https://imgur.com/a/KVFOJU1

A 16 bit, 44.1 kHz file with 33 impulses. Impulses in the right channel (bottom) are exactly 0.5 second apart, while the distance between impulses in the left channel (top) increases by 1.4 microsecond.

The animation skips to each impulse as evidenced by the time bar at the top. The grey waveform is this 16/44 file upsampled 16x. The highlighted area in the middle is 2-samples wide and centers on zero-crossing of the right, "stationary", channel.

time.resolution.gif.b5a1d1e9aceb82d43f017a75c6cc1699.gif

imp.all.44.flac.zip