IGNORED

Roon Startup Volume Problem

StephenJK

Question

I recently setup my Devialet Expert Pro 440 amplifiers as a streamer and can run that with two different configurations. 

The first configuration is with JRiver Media Center using the Devialet Asynchronous Intelligent Route (AIR) driver.  I can control JRiver from an iPad using JRemote.  It works and works well, and it allows me to use all of the configured libraries and views that I’ve setup to display and sort albums into a number of categories.  The volume control with JRemote is OK at best – but it does work and you have the option of setting startup volume, max volume and volume protection (disable big jumps in volume).

The second configuration is with Roon on a trial basis.  With this setup AIR is disabled and Roon talks to the Devialet control amplifier using its own unique solution.  The sound is – different.  My wife and I think its better, there seems to be a more articulate and detailed presentation, particularly in the midrange. 

The issue with Roon, any and all other considerations aside, is with the startup volume which is 100% - that’s a show stopper for me. 

Booting up the laptop and leaving it on at all times is not something I’m prepared to do. 

The issue just isn’t with me, but also with house guests who use the stereo when we’re away.  With JRemote on their iPad they’re good to go. 

With Roon I can’t very well say “make sure you turn down the volume or you could blow the speakers”, that’s just an accident looking for a place to happen. 

I see Roon has been asked this question many times and their answer is you can set volume limits or just turn it down after booting up.  Neither answer is a very good one – it should be “we now have a startup volume setting.”

Has anyone come up with a solution to the Roon startup volume at full blast? 

Roon core is running on a laptop that is connected to a router configured as an Access Point with a CAT 5 cable.  The Devialet control amplifier is connected to the same Access Point with a CAT 5 cable.  The router connects wirelessly to a fiber hub for Internet access.  

Edit:  Sorry about the double post, thought I was editing the first question - the second post can be deleted.

3 answers to this question

I may be misunderstanding your current configuration but is this an ethernet only configuration? I'm using Roon's Dsp Vol control exclusively in my setup but I have the Core directly connected to the DAC via USB and ASIO and ROON maintains whatever my last VOL level was during the previous listening session.

I've configured the MIN/MAX levels in the settings to be -80dbfs to -15dbfs with the slider controls with additional 10db available if I manually click the Vol level control UP to my total configured Max if that makes sense?

I've not witnessed the Vol level starting at Max each time

9 hours ago, cjf said:

I may be misunderstanding your current configuration but is this an ethernet only configuration? I'm using Roon's Dsp Vol control exclusively in my setup but I have the Core directly connected to the DAC via USB and ASIO and ROON maintains whatever my last VOL level was during the previous listening session.

I've configured the MIN/MAX levels in the settings to be -80dbfs to -15dbfs with the slider controls with additional 10db available if I manually click the Vol level control UP to my total configured Max if that makes sense?

I've not witnessed the Vol level starting at Max each time

We have the same type of configuration, except I use either AIR over ethernet (with JRMC) or Roon's own driver with that program.

I have the Min Max settings at -60/-10 and I'm familiar with the additional 10 dB using the + control only.  

The volume resets to Max if you reboot the computer running Roon - that's the issue.  If you never reboot, no problem.  If you're like me, and never, ever leave things turned on when not in use there's a reboot at least once a day.  

Never have the problem you have here and in your other post and I almost never have to reboot my mac mini and ROON never 'blasts' volume it doesn't control the volume the service/DAC I use does. Must be that you use a PC and JRMC which I stopped using years ago. As I inferred ( and I may be wrong) in my other answer to you if you keep things 'KISS' probably wouldn't have this problem.