IGNORED

Article: McIntosh Labs C53 Preamplifier Review

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

Thanks for the great review, I look forward to the C2700 comparison.

I'm disappointed that McIntosh seems to be insisting on the purchase of their DAC module with just about any of their preamps--as you point out, it's not quite as good as current separates.  A few years ago it was easy to choose--the C22 was essentially a C2600 without a DAC for about $2,000 less.

Agreed Peter!

My ideal McIntosh preamp would I fact be the C2700 with phono input, equalizer and no digital section... go figure! 😊👻🤣

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 5:13 AM, Funkadelico said:

Hi Danny,

I have a Macintosh C52, basically I agree with everything in your review regarding C53, I think the only difference between models 52 and 53 is the DAC section. It was for me a big delusion to understand that the DAC of 52 do not works properly with Ronn, although is "Roon Tested". All the songs are reproduced with short a silence in the beginning, a problem for all users of the C52 (please check in Roon Community) and it is impossible to fix it. The sound is very good but this problem is so frustrating, especially for the price of this premplifier (in Italy 11.500 Euros).

I am considering to sell my C52 and buy the new C53... but the new DAC works rightly in your experience with Roon or Audirvana? Are you sure that is free of c52 DAC problem's? 

I thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Marco

(PS: Sorry for wrinting mistakes)

Hi Marco, sorry, I didn't see this reply until just now... Sorry to hear you are having issues with your 52... I can verify that I had no issues whatsoever with the 53 and Roon, it works without any issues!