IGNORED

A unique CD Ripping solution?

On 1/29/2020 at 12:18 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

I used 10 USB cd drives connected to 2 PC to rip 2704 Audio CDs.

USB CD drive was cheap, $15 each.

It took 4 days

This is a screenshot while testing how many USB DVD drives are too many for one PC

CDrip.jpg.20a819cded3f2cb2a1a46e69badffee0.jpg

So just curious how the software manages multiple drives at a time ripping- I didn’t think that was doable...

cheers

On 1/29/2020 at 12:05 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

An interesting solution.  I'm imagining the percentage of people with the skills/money/space to deploy ten computers for the sake of ripping CDs will be very, very low.  But I applaud your somewhat Rube Goldberg approach.  Quite nerdy 👍 

It does sound excessive but I had five dead macs with various issues that I refurbished, and then shopped for 5 used 2009 to 2010 additional ones.  The equipment is worth maybe $2000, but I should be able to recoup some through reselling if nobody is interested in reusing this setup. 

Haha. It does sound excessive but I had five dead macs with various issues that I refurbished, and then shopped for 5 used 2009 to 2010 additional ones.  The equipment is worth maybe $2000, but I should be able to recoup some through reselling if nobody is interested in reusing this setup. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:17 PM, MetalNuts said:

I think most of us have experienced the pain in ripping our CDs collection into files.  Please consider also the format, i.e. flac or wav you want (they may sound different).  The most difficult and tedious task is not ripping but scanning the artwork and booklets of the CDs.  Not all CD artwork can be found on internet, even if you can, some, in particular those older CDs are of very low resolution.

I went with AIFF - no compression I think and storage is so cheap these days.  20 years ago when I was first ripping on iTunes storage was a buck a gig.  Now it’s more like 3-4 cents per gig!!