IGNORED

red or blue pill - Part II?

5 hours ago, manisandher said:

If there were to be a retest, what would need to be done differently for those of you who remained sceptical to have more confidence in the results?

1) Randomly pick 10 tracks from different albums. Good quality recording but hopefully not something you are familiar or previously used by you. 

2) Play each track only once at a randomly chosen setting. Do not play the same track again with other settings. 

I don’t believe whatever difference you hear would not be identifiable when heard in isolation without comparisons. 

12 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Bad move. You should know the recording intimately, every tiny crevice of it. Which means that you can trigger on the slightest variation of some obscure aspect of it.

The listening brain will work hard to 'synchronise' slightly different versions of a recording - it knows that it's "the same track". So, you need to do things which thwart that innate listening behaviour ...

Either way. One to find the minimum standard for high fidelity and the other is prove a difference exist. I am just a small person after high fidelity music reproduction. Ignore me. 

There is no such thing as real sound. There is only sound the confirms to all the cues for localization or not. 

Put a person playing bagpipes on one side and a speaker playing piano on the other side behind the curtain. If you ask a person who has never heard these instruments before both will be real to him. 

A sound is real when it confirms with the psychoacoustics principles. Practically all demos about how real the high end system can sound usually confined to solo or two instruments.