IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

In preparation for my 3rd batch ER, I had the opportunity to upgrade the last leg from my cheap D-Link switch (powered by ifi SMPS) from the well-regarded BJC CAT6a to a custom Supra CAT8 with Telegartner connectors, which just arrived today.  Holy crap!  Even though it isn’t broken in yet, what a huge improvement!  Much more 3D and listenable. When I put the BJC back in, it sounds compressed and distorted. I tried it a few times to make sure. Maybe I don’t need the ER after all 🤣 LOL.  The last leg goes into an ultraRendu (powered by a recent upgrade to the new Sonore LPS) which goes partway towards a Signature Rendu. I have no idea how the ER can improve on this but it seems like it will.   In the meantime I’m enjoying my music more than before. 

Bottom line is the Ethernet cable upgrade makes a big difference in my system, even without the ER.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, t_ram said:

What voltage is your SGC set to? Been thinking of trying one.

Mine is a fixed 7v/15w.  When I get a chance, I’ll try the new LPS I upgraded my ultraRendu to, but it will mean temporarily using the stock SMPS for the ultraRendu so I can “A/B” the LPSs into the EtherREGEN.  The other LPS is about 3-4 times the price, but if it makes enough of a difference, I might have a SGC LPS for sale 😉

I was not expecting much of an improvement by replacing the stock SMPS with the SGC LPS, but I would say it is worth the upgrade because that LPS is not that expensive.  It does run hot with the EtherREGEN, but then it did with the ultraRendu too with no issues.  Power draw is comparable.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

I'd also be interested in reports from people who have compared power supplies.

Feedback so far in this thread:

One poster found a modest improvement with an LPS 1.2 and a bigger improvement with a Paul Hynes SR4.

Another post comments that power cable changes make more difference than powering through an HDPLEX 200W. 

There was one report of some improvement using an SBooster.

Another, slightly more detailed post reported improvements with an (unspecified) Small Green Computer LPS with Pangaea power chord which produced deeper bass and a "better" soundstage.

One person found a SOTM SPS500 improved clarity but lacked life and rhythm. They sold it on.

Another posted reported a satisfying improvement with the JS-2 providing the ER earth terminal is connected to the common ground of the JS-2. 

Over on the Naim Forum one user reported a big lift using a Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3 power supply.

I think the problem is that people don’t have a bunch of power supplies to swap in to compare. I haven’t had the time to try the ifi DC purifier yet that I have.  In my system, I notice a big difference with the SGC LPS, but that LPS runs too hot driving the ER for my liking, so for now I’m only using it for shorter, serious listening sessions. I have the new Sonore LPS which is powering my ultraRendu now instead of the SGC, but it has a Blue fuse which I don’t want to risk because the ER would push that LPS the max. (The Sonore LPS looks like it has the same case as the Farad mentioned here.)

I’m sold on upgrading the stock SMPS, but undecided on which way to go.  I might just go for the LPS 1.2 someday when I get a chance, but the Farad looks interesting because it has a higher current rating. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did an “unintended” upgrade upstream from the eR. I switched my ISP from a coax cable to DSL/fiber. They laid fiber to the end of our street (then about 1000’ of legacy twisted pair from there, with probably at least one amplifier) with plans to put fiber-to-home within 6 months, so they were offering a great promo during the transition. When I sat down to listen to some music that evening (my digital music is 100% streamed through Tidal, with Roon/HQP) I didn’t recall the album sounding that good, but I hadn’t listened to it in a while and had made other upgrades recently. A couple of days later I sat down to listen to some other albums and noticed improved sound again. So I listened to some of my reference tracks and confirmed improved sound. I was able to A/B  the 2 ISPs (because I hadn’t canceled the old one yet) and confirmed that the old coax one was harsher, less bass, more “compressed” sounding, etc. I used the Speedtest app on my Mac (my digital system is not on wifi except my iPad to control Roon) to confirm connectivity when swapping back and forth) and happened to notice latency was twice as much with coax, and generally 20-50 times the jitter!  Some of the DSL jitter measurements were as low as 0.050ms compared with typical coax jitter of 1-4ms. Sure, the Speedtest app probably isn’t very accurate, and maybe those numbers aren’t the reason for the improved SQ, but I’m happy. I also swapped out the modem’s SMPS with an ifi iPower and that improved a bit further. I added an ifi DC Purifier to that and it made further improvements. After reading austinpop’s review, I’m thinking an LPS for the modem is next on my list! 🤑

And maybe I should go out the junction boxes and upgrade the power supplies on the amplifiers too 🤣

I’m hoping when the fiber comes to the house that it makes a difference too. 

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
10 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, I make the Sonore Power Supply for Sonore.  We make a standard version that is 7 VDC output @ 1.5 A max continuous (much more peak current is available).  We can also make custom voltages: a 12 VDC version @ 2A max continuous is available via special order, and other voltages are possible via special order.  These are very good linear power supplies, with discrete voltage regulation.

I can vouch for this LPS 😀 with the EtherREGEN.  I initially bought it for my ultraRendu and got a PH-SR4T for the ER.  Long story (grounding issues) but I ended up swapping them around.  I ordered the Sonore LPS with the SR Blue fuse option.

I didn't know about the custom voltages, so I'll keep that in mind for future upgrades.

Another low-cost LPS option would be TeraDak.  Yeah, Chinese and inexpensive, but they've been around for a while.  I purchased their Mac Mini M1 LPS upgrade kit, which came with a 200W 12v LPS (way overkill for the MMM1!).  I use the MMM1 as a Roon Core/HQPlayer machine.  I haven't tried swapping in my PH-SR4T to see how much of a difference it would make, but I did replace the stock TeraDak fuse with an Orange fuse after a couple of weeks, which made a worthwhile difference.