IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Yeah, I haven't upgraded my AL for quite a while now and see that 2.1 is out.

Might be worth ruining my Saturday morning 😓 and reinstalling AL on both devices to get the latest greatest version.

Hey BigAlMac,

Have you tried to set the NUC side ethernet port to 100mbps in the AL menu? The NUC should autonegotiate the connection speed, but the autonegotiate feature may be disabled in software. Your problem may have something to do with this. From the command line running ethtool against the nic will show all the current settings.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Interesting. One more thing to try I guess.

But as my Server NUC only has one LAN port I guess I'd need to change from:

Router to A side of ER, Server to A side of ER, B side of ER to EndPoint

To:

Router to previous AQVOX switch, AQVOX to Server, AQVOX to A side of ER, B side of ER to EndPoint?

Addition of an extra switch in the chain seems counter intuitive to resolving network issues. But might be worth a go.

Cheers,

Alan

I'd make sure you NUC endpoint is set at 100mbps and the server to 1000mbps. Plug the endpoint in the B side of the ER, and the server into the A side along with your router connection. This way you don't need any autonegotiation.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

I thought the issue with the AudioLinux hacks was that they remove the ability to auto negotiate and force the NUC to communicate at 10Mb/s. Thus you have one stuck at 10 and the other stuck at 100. 

By hack, do you mean the Audiolinux expert menu choice used to control Ethernet speed?

This menu option uses ethtool to set various parameters. Any setting one likes, auto negotiation on or off, or various speeds such as 1Gbs, 100Mbs or 10Mbs can be configured from the CLI.

Left to default settings, AL will negotiate appropriate link parameters with the ER.

If you choose an unsupported speed, and disable negotiation, the ER is likely to have issues. Be careful, a little knowledge here is dangerous.

• 6 months later...
22 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

I hate to confess that the day after I installed a FMC, I noticed my equipment didn't sounded as expected, and certainly nothing near the small "revelation" I heard the day before.

1. I experimented with and without the FMC, and to me it sounded better without it.

2. In Audirvana+ I waited until the song was fully loaded, disconnected the ethernet cable at the FMC, and pressed play. Still no difference.
3. So I exchanged the included SMPS with a LPS-1.2. Still, it sounded better without the FMC.
So my humble conclusion is that the inexpensive FMC I bought is not an audio grade device, and I removed it from my system. Hmm..
Tom

Try a good single mode cable >= to 5 meters in length and single mode 1310nm SFPs like the Finisars that are widely available used on Ebay.

14 minutes ago, TwinPeak said:

Thanks! A quick look at eBay and a lot of sellers from India - are there fake Finisar SFP's?
Tom

The Finisar SFPs purchased on Ebay for my use all come from vendors in the US. I have never purchased an SFP from India, and most likely never will.

45 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Hi Imitche.
I am currently using this cable with my Finisar.  Could you recommend a cable that is clearly superior in quality?

Regards

Somehow "good" was turned into "superior". By "good", I meant that it works, the opposite of "bad" meaning it doesn't work. I have both.

I am not interested in fiber cable "rolling" per se, but if someone finds a "superior" cable that could be interesting.