IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Guess I must have missed this... What DBT's and which videos?

Archimago

I will take this to PM

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, marce said:

But not ears!

So according to you, Hi Res and DSD are a complete waste of time, and 16/44.1 is as good as it gets.

You are probably a Climate Change Denier too ?  :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

21 minutes ago, Rexp said:

I would say hi-res is indeed a waste of time, what do we think of this, recorded in 1979?   https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1YpJOYP8Lx4Wk9QZm9NdUF6dzQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Mediocre ?

28 minutes ago, marce said:

Statistically you use the D button more than the rest of the forum put together

It's preferable to continuing pointless discussions with closed minded know-it-alls ! :P

I most certainly have greatly reduced sine wave response to you even, but I still have no trouble hearing the differences between FredericV's X and Y files, with the original 24/96 down converted to 16/44.1 and both put in the same 24/96 containers.

Let's see how good YOU are ! The links still work and are :

http://klinktbeter.be/hushhush/x.wav
http://klinktbeter.be/hushhush/y.wav

BTW,  Archimago has also reported that people with hearing damage are often able to hear things that others are unable to hear .

21 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

If you do/do-not find differences after these tests, then write a paper -- lots of people would like to read it.  I promise that I would, and help you review your results!!!

John

To compare your hearing at each rate, then make sure that no difference is in the state of your equipment...  Do all tests with the eventual test material all at the same sample rate, but 'bump' the material down to the test rate and back up to a higher rate for technical transparency.   This 'bump down and back up' needs to be done carefully with well qualified software and proper techniques, or there can be biases in the results.

John

Most members will not be capable of doing the above without technical assistance.

IF differences are found as a result of these tests, then I feel sure that several prominent members will help to not review the results, but attempt to disprove the validity of the results. I.O.W. find fault with the methodology used.

There will be claims that the size of the samples were not statistically adequate for example.

N.B.

I am not suggesting that this applies to you though.

Alex

5 minutes ago, Confused said:

So the 24 bit files actually have the advantage that they are not subjected to any additional processing stages.  In theory, this should bias the results towards the 24 bit files. 

Agreed.

However, try convincing the Objective members that additional processing can result in a small amount of audible degradation.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:44 PM, marce said:

Will try the files tonight when I find my headphones.

And the results were ? Are you able to describe any differences that you heard ?

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Ah yes, I just read his blog. Apparently all files started out as high res recordings and were down sampled and then up sampled again.

IOW, Just like FrederickV did with his X and Y files sometime back where I accurately described the differences between them

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/671/#comments  #16768

http://klinktbeter.be/hushhush/x.wav
http://klinktbeter.be/hushhush/y.wav

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

I should recreate this test with the upsample/resample recipe we currently use (Archimago), as since a year of 2 we have 10 different recipes and they all sound very different

While remaining Bit Perfect ? 

16 minutes ago, Rexp said:

I should have said 'I'm guessing' as I don't know for sure but all the duller sounding versions I think are the downsampled versions. 

Most likely.

However it will be interesting to see if FrederickV can improve on that area, with both the down conversion to 16/44.1 and the upsampling again to 24/96 (or whatever) as he recently reported.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

There are a number of examples that show a significant increase in levels of ultrasonic noise and other distortions in the hi-res version. While the sampling rate is increased, the actual resolution is not.

That applies especially to many SACDs that contained no musical content whatsoever past 21kHz, with in many cases them apparently  using the same RBCD mastering .

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

So, I know that YOU know this Alex, but for others who might not realize:  when it looks like there is content because of the spectogram level surges, it just might not be actual content.

Nevertheless, there are some hi res releases where the original analogue tapes contained some genuine musical content to >30kHz