IGNORED

Warming up for best performance.

STC

10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

While it’s true that tube circuits benefit from “warming-up” (about an hour before serious listening, I’d say), I have never seen anything conclusive about solid state stuff. Depending on the design, some stuff might benefit (like amplifiers and possibly DACs - I leave my DAC on 24/7).

Been there. Left all my equipment on 24/7 and at one time even the 350W on idle amp ( no standby) Amp 24/7. And now, I made a 180 degree turn and turn off everything including the electrostatics speakers power supply. Warming up is now limited to just a few minutes. 

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

ST

I can relate to this, as similar happened to my Class A amplifier several years ago . They were building a new electrical substation 200 metres up the road for a new shopping centre mainly, when somebody must have hit a high voltage cable or similar, as the lights went VERY bright for  a short period too.

I hadn't got around to putting my power board with VDRs in it  back in line at the time just after moving there, but I doubt that it would have saved it as both transformers burned out .

Alex

It was funny. All looked fine till it started to smoke after 20 minutes of play. Power caps failed. 

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Varying BP will do that. In my case , years ago I found that brisk walking lowered my BP considerably,( even a little too low on a few occasions,)  which resulted in my damaged hearing improving.

That is an interesting observation. My usual BP is 70/100 and goes up to 80/112 sometimes. Wonder if that makes a difference?

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Afford to" is not the right term - tuning back in is more the go ... these days, I lose the momentum to do things very easily, and quickly - then I have to be 'inspired again', to go the next round ... it's a major bummer, actually ...😞

I don’t see you slowing down when it comes to posting with your mantra in this forum. Perhaps, reality is finally sinking in that you have been chasing ghost all these years?

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

You probably won't get it in a million years, George ... 😜

You see, I've heard 100's of systems with "real equipment (especially speakers)" - and they all ... sound ...like ... shit - to me. I'm too busy flinching at the awfulness with which they are reproducing recordings I'm very familiar with, to have time left over to marvel at how swish they look ... I might as well get into someone's Porsche, of which they are very proud - and be constantly reminded that the vehicle is much closer to being a worn out rust bucket ...

I can easily debunk you. I can make recording of the same track at same level at same distance. And all you have to do is guess the price and rate them. 

but like always, you will now come with another excuse. 

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

You see, I've heard 100's of systems with "real equipment (especially speakers)" - and they all ... sound ...like ... shit - to me.

Just curious how did you manage to listen to so many systems?  I am in a small country and most of the audiophiles in this country are concentrated about 1 hour radius. 

Australia is a large country. I don’t think there can be that many audiophiles within your area. The last time, when I wanted to visit a designer in Margaret River, I couldn’t anyone. 

Even in this forum, I think there could be 10. And among them probably 1 or 2 would welcome me. So Frank, What’s your secret? And how you managed them?  At least share the pictures. 

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

mirage - it's an illusion that requires precisely the right conditions to manifest -

That has been established a century ago how to make the illusion work. You add nothing to it. 

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Huhh? What's the price to do with it? ... I rate playback on the basis of whether I can hear the setup misbehaving; depending upon the recording,

The question was - dare you to take up the challenge. I will even do a favour considering that your laptop speakers are not working properly, I will only use one speaker. See how cleverly you avoided answering that like always. 

21 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've already said, I don't do pics - had a burst of hobby enthusiasm for photography when I was young; and once I lost interest

Why? You took one fine picture 35 years ago and since then soldering and desoldering the camera? 

Anyone in this forum visited listened to fas42 system?

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

No, no-one from the forum has heard one ... the giveaway was when an audiophile and his wife about 12 years ago listened to a setup in reasonable, not ideal state - he was busy making mental notes; she was bouncing around, having a great time, groovin' to the music ... she knew instantly it was 'right', and wasn't worried about anything else ...

Or, a classics fan - she was scared it was too loud, for the "big ending" she knew was coming ... the sound just rolled over us, just like it does in real life, without "any damage being done"

Hearsay. Usually, the root for so many problems. Same like saying someone told you something and therefore the rest must follow what you are saying because the someone is far superior than you. Sounds familiar?

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

ST, if you want to worry about, say, technical solutions to acoustics, etc, that's fine by me ... what I'm after is the magic of immersive sound in the room, which never has to make excuses. Ever.

To me, this is 'superior' as an experience ... and I'll leave it as that ...

You do not know the meaning of “immersive”. It got nothing to do with soldering or the direct sound. 

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

If you were the resident Scientist from an entirely different discipline, you would long ago used your powers as the OP of the thread.

Perhaps you all just like ganging up on  Frank ? ¬¬

No one is ganging up against anyone. In fact, I am probably in more list of “ ignore” than Frank. When I was wrong the whole gang whom I call the eminent of 14 ganged up against me. The point is whether they were correct or not. The point is whether I was correct or not. And listened and contribute and if you are wrong admit it. Or if you are looking at the question from another angle try your best to put across your idea.  But don’t keep posting the same thing over and over again to make a point when it couldn’t  be demonstrated or backup. 

I asked whether he is will to take the test of recording from various speakers. Total silence. 

He claimed he could recognize a real piano and I gave a sample. Nothing there too. 

I asked each steps he has done in his NAD. Nothing useful there. 

And now he is coming with immersive which got thing to do with the sound from the source. I guess now you will be ganging up on me. Oh yes, there were four of you in support of him. Go ahead Alex. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Well, duhh ... I reckon I've come across this situation at least, ummm ..

So too about 1% of the Americans. Not sure of the percentage over there. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Whether I can identify something is irrelevant - what counts is getting the SQ which makes the listening special.

Nope, you mentioned 100s of rigs. Be consistent. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

The recordings were snapshots of the rig at that time, when it was working decently -

Look again at the post. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

My approach is to have a back and forward session - and surmise from that what might be worth looking at

to that you must have some for of records. Like the measurements or actual audio recordings. None of which you have reproduced except for plucking in excerpts from here and there and modify them. Btw, which one is you in the Sydney Audio Club?  Do you know the link?  

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just to embed in this thread an account of what happens, by another 'experimenter' - this is a quote from another forum, https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/177403-linkwitz-orions-beaten-behringer-153.html

As Pano says, it's rare - but so distinct that you never mistake what's going on.

I remember engaging with Pano in the past and I think I know what you guys are referring to. The idea is correct but your understanding and description wasn’t clear.

I thought about the piano sound that you described in 

and now it makes perfect sense what you are after. Let me see if I can make a sample of what you are trying to describe. 

and you are right, the more you treat the room, you are not going to get the magic. It is not so complicated after all. 

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Your comment here doesn't make sense, to me.

The feeling is mutual. 

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Pretty sure there are zero photos of me from the club - you mean, you want to see my ugly mug ??! 😝

Which post?

1) I want to see you listening to 100s of rigs. 

2) that’s the problem of posting in every thread. You simply can’t keep track. 

Oh dear ...

Most audiophiles are trapped in this mindset - which is why real progress in the audio world is sooo slow ... who knows, it could take a 100 😊 years before it extricates itself from the swamp ... in the meantime, have lots of fun playing the bling game - quick, who's got the most impressive looking rig?! 😜

It is goIng to take a while. Hallucinogen is illegal in most places. Things are improving. Most will catch up with you. 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Nope. Audiophiles like George are completely locked into a viewpoint which they will hang onto until the day they die - they were like this 35 years ago, and they have been the same each decade since. And every now and again I hear a system of one of these people, and it's full blown eye-rollin' time - I don't know where to start; so many cylinders misfiring ... and it would get mighty heated if I ventured some thoughts on the matter; they know they have a Good System - and that's that! 😜

It is better for you to report your own post to be removed as I don’t see the relevance in your reply to George’s post.