IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

2 hours ago, nbpf said:

This is disappointing, I thought the Zenith MKIII would come with an excellent, dedicated USB output!

The Mk3 was likely designed hit a price point.  Its USB output is as probably good as they could achieve within those price constraints - and still "excellent" relative to other streaming solutions priced at or below the Mk3's price.  I suspect there were also physical space constraints.  There's not even enough room inside the chassis to have included additional power supplies.  A another chassis would have been required.

I don't believe the Statement had price constraints.  It's Innous' statement product - and it includes their best USB implementation.  The Phoenix brings that USB implementation to the Mk3.  Or said another way, the Mk3 would have had to have been priced a lot higher to include this USB implementation.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

15 minutes ago, nbpf said:

From this perspective, showcasing how the Phoenix can improve the Zenith MKIII seems a rather silly marketing strategy to me. Perhaps it would be more meaningful to show how the Phoenix can improve the USB output of a Raspberry Pi. Just my two cents, of course ...

I thought so at first as it seemed the Phoenix would cannibalize sales of the Statement.  But there are a heck a lot more people who can afford the Mk3.  The Phoenix enables them to take incremental steps in that direction.   I believe the Statement's ethernet implementation will also be offered as standalone product as well - furthering the incremental steps one can take with the Mk3.  I'm not aware of any of Innuos' competitors offering a path forward like this.  The Phoenix makes the Mk3 a more appealing purchase.  

Sure the Phoenix can improve the Raspberry Pi and other brands of streamers .. but will it make them sound more like the Statement?  That's more assured if the starting point is the Mk3.  I think the other thing at play here is Innous capitalizing on the success of the Statement.  It's not simply about improving USB for the sake of it.  It's about moving the Mk3 closer to the Statement's level of performance.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 7 months later...

The power supply in the Mk3 was designed by Sean Jacobs as we all know.  But it was assembled by Innuos.  I’m pretty sure it’s the same for the Statement.  The SE was limited to 100 because SJ assembled the supplies too.  Why do I mention that? Because the Mk3 is closer to having been cut from the same cloth as the Statement.  So like Rajiv, I’d be really surprised of this was the case.

i should point out as well that Darko in his video review of the Zen Mk3 mentioned that he struggled hearing a difference between it and the SE (I’m paraphrasing).   I’m a huge fan of Darko’s as his reviews are interesting and fun.  But there’s no way I’d base a purchasing decision on a point he made in one of his reviews unless it was aligned with what other trusted ears report.  Innuos demos the Phoenix with Zenith Mk3 against a Statement.  Every person who’s heard this mentions being astonished by how much closer the Phoenix brings the Zenith to the Statement’s sound quality.

5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I live in a very rural area. The drive to nearest dealer would be a 12 Hour road trip, so not too practical for an audition. I think purchasing a Innuos with out an audition is a pretty safe leap of faith.  I’ve read so much about the Innous that I'm confident it would sound better than either the SOtM sMS Ultra or Sonore UltraRenu which are my bench marks I need to eclipse.

I took a leap of faith to purchase my Zenith Mk2 - but it was a short leap because I elected to purchase a dealer demo at a good savings.  That reduced the risk as I likely could have sold it for as much as I paid for it.  It easily beat what I was using prior to that (ISO Regen/LPS-1.2, microRendu 1.4/LPS-1.2 Mac mini w/MMK/JS-2).

My guess is that the two servers you mention would need be powered by pretty good power supplies to compete with the Zenith Mk3.  

I would choose the Zenith Mk3 over the two servers you mention as I have limited shelf space and I abhor clutter.  Also I think the Zenith Mk3 is more in the class of the Sonore Signature Rendu SE than the ultraRendu.  I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ConcreteCow said:

I've got an Audioquest Coffee USB going from my Zenith MK3 to the D90 MQA DAC.

If I kept it and used the Sablon 2020 to go from the Phoenix to the D90 MQA DAC do you think it would be OK? Or used the other way around?

Cheers!🍻

My dealer suggested best USB after the Phoenix but with the caveat that the USB cable into it still has an impact.  But best to use you ears.  Let us know what you think.

43 minutes ago, ConcreteCow said:

Narrowing my USB choices down to:

Sablon 2020 - seems to be the 'end game' at the moment

Curious Evolved - new version that is getting a great following

Final Touch Audio Callisto - the USB lurking in the background of 'greats'

Wireworld Platinum  Starlight 7 - a firm favourite with many

Phasure Audio Lush 2 - good reviews offering something different and 'tuneable'

A good selection that gives me a headache to decide 'which one'!!!

The Shunyata Sigma is the best USB cable I've heard.  Pricey but it's really in another league compared to cables like the Lush 2 and Starlight 7.

The Lush 2 is a great value at that price.  I thought it was pretty much equal to a Shunyata Alpha that I used to own.  The friend who owned the Lush 2 agreed.  He and I both switched to the Sigma after we heard it.  

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Much as I love the Lush^2, there is indeed a "next level" for USB cables, and the Sablon 2020 is my favorite.

What’s the retail price on the Sablon 2020?  That would be my top choice for the extra USB cable I’d need if I purchased a Phoenix.

6 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Ok, got it,  I thought it was an active shielding

No, it’s just whether the cable can pass that 5v. For the DACs that don’t require it, there should be an advantage to not carrying that signal.  I suspect the Phoenix minimizes the harm.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I think the best way to describe what I have now is a totally non-fatiguing system.  I no longer have any of those days/nights where you wonder why your system just didn't sound right.  Why it sounded harsh. Or was just off. Was it the power grid? My ears? Time of day?

I have never had such an extended period where every time I turn this system on I enjoy it. Just a lack of any digital harshness. Best soundstage (depth, width and separation) I have had in my room. Accuracy of instrument timbre. Dead silent when it is supposed to be.

That's my hoped-for destination so congrats on getting there.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2020 at 11:02 PM, BigAlMc said:

"It becomes clear that this component is more of a necessity than an accessory. "

I kinda wish you hadn’t shared that.  

I wasn’t expecting this:  “After swapping other cables around, I realize the cable between Phoenix and server almost overrides the Phoenix to DAC cable. In short, use the better cable between server and reclocker. The cable from reclocker to DAC doesn’t matter as much.”

Has anyone else found that to be the case?  @BigAlMcyou likely did the right thing by having Sablon 2020 USB cable on both sides of the Phoenix. My Sigma USB delivered a tremendous upgrade so I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around using a lesser USB cable downstream as I can’t see myself getting a second Sigma.  

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, noel.gregoire said:

HI all,

what is SQ difference between zenith MKII and MKIII  (both) connected to a phoenix ?  is it worth

making the upgrade that only affects the power supply and no motherboard

changing MKII for a MKIII

doing nothing ?

The Mk3 was a big step up from the Mk2.  I am inclined to believe that step will still be there with the Phoenix.  Power supplies matter for every component in the chain, so the improved power supply in the Mk3 should be worth it regardless of what follows.

In my case I swapped out a Mk2 for a Mk3 and did not pursue the power supply upgrade for the Mk2.  I think most of the benefits came from the improved power supply though just given the nature of the improvements.