IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Hi All,

@allo.comThe 40 pin interface on the main board. Can this be used in the same way as a Raspberry Pi.  What I would like to do is a simple.bit of code to read the on/off signal placed on a few of the pins, then turn a few other pins on and off. This will be used to control 12v DC triggers via a relay board (for turning amps on and off).

Given it is possible will this detriment the clean usb signal? Also if I get the larger aluminium case designed for the player version.

Unrelated question:

I'm using an i7 Nuc, containing a single fan and SSD drives as a roon core using ROCK.

I'm currently using an Oppo 203 (the 205s smaller sibling) as the roon transport.

Into a Anthem STR preamp.

My options are:
Nuc as is -> eithernet-> oppo transport  -> optica/coaxl -> DAC
Nuc as is -> USB -> DAC
Nuc fanless case -> USB -> DAC
Nuc as is -> eithernet -> usBridge -> usb-> DAC

I know Allo wont comment subjectively so this is a question for the wider community. Based on my setup do we beleive the Usbridge Signature is designed to make a difference for my type of equipment?  As the Oppo and Anthem are new designs, I'd imagine there is a fair amount of tolerance to noise already built in on both sides (speculation)! And as the DAC/preamp doesnt equate to $10,000 worth of equipment there maybe other factors that colour the signal more, leading to any gains made by a USBridge been lost in the noise floor (again speculation).

Note: I've deliberately left off conversation regarding PSUs.

Thanks,

Best Regards, Gary

Thanks @Mycenius

How do I tell if the NUC is good or bad electrical noise wise, without buying a Usbridge to compare it to? The specs are:
- NUC: NUC8I7BEH3 NUC Intel Core i7 8559U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- RAM: Crucial CT2K8G4SFS824A 16 GB (8 GB x2) DDR4, 2400 MT/s, PC4-19200
- Main Drive:  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2
- Music storage (my NAS currently out of action): Crucial BX500 CT240BX500SSD1(Z) 240 GB
- Running ROCK.

The only thing the Oppo is giving me is moving the NUC out of the listening room, not tried directly connecting it yet! I can A/B it tonight, unfortunately not blind.

I also regretting not getting the 205, like you I'm using the 203 mainly for 4k discs.

Thanks,

Best Regards, Gary

Thank you @reelben

So comparing your:

NUC -> USBridge Signiture -> Hegel H90  with just: NUC -> Hegel H90.

You would say there is a noticable improvement? Can you describe the difference (no worries if you can't, it's hard to put it into words sometimes).

It's nice to hear someone genunine pleased with a product 🙂

6 hours ago, Mycenius said:

1. you need to find if your NUC or it’s MB/bus have been tested or rated for noise, etc, in a way comparable to what Allo have done for their custom USBridge Signature, otherwise

2. most likely you will have to trust your ears and do a subjective comparison with your NUC - meaning purchasing a USBridge Sig.

Thanks @Mycenius as I feared:-)

Thanks @reelben you have sold it to me 😁

@allo.com My DAC can take 32bit PCM, and I want to use Roon to level the volume which converts the bit rate. Is the Usbridge Signature able to output at 32bit and at what frequency? Apologises if it is a stupid question!

14 hours ago, reelben said:

Hi Gary, 

Have you buy my Pioneer or ifi. 

Are you from Germany? 

I have sold so much :)

Only now I sold  not more so much as earlier. 

I have so much see the years. 

My best set was ayre /nbs (d1 and v3\1 and with marten and acoustat 30 and tubes. 

Ooh I have so much see... Only now I have a cheaper instalation.

With more pleasure 🎶

Kind regards, 

Ben 😉 

Hi Ben,

I'm in the UK! I have not bought anything from you. 'You sold it to me' was an idiom, I shouldn't have used it, sorry! It means you explaining your experience has convinced me to also buy it from Allo.

Thanks,

Best Regards, Gary

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

if you have some pops/clicks please switch to Moode using kernel 4.14 . That should remove any clicks you hear

Thanks, I'll try downgrading tomorrow and see if this helps? @allo.com any idea why Moode currently thinks it is a ARM v7, should a software reinstall fix this or is it a firmware job?

Shanti is a transformer based linear psu. As such , some noise will be made by the bulk transformer . In out test setup , I can only hear the "hum" if I have my ears close to the casing . We also found that it slightly decreases after a few days.

One more observation on Shanti . near AC inlet , you have a fuse (you can see the symbol next to AC inlet) try removing and reinserting the plastic (make sure your Shanti is not AC powerd) , it might be the one making noise .

1 hour ago, Heckyman said:

My Shanti hums too but I can only hear it a couple of feet away in a quiet room. It’s not audible from the listening position or during the day when there is ambient noise. The hum did not decrease noticeably during “break in” except perhaps for the first few minutes of use.

If I have to put my ear near the case or even 2ft away to hear it in a quite room, that would be more than good enough! I'll try reseating the fuse see if it helps and give it a few days. If it doesn't quieten down, are you happy to replace it after that time, or should I send it back straight away just in case?

1 hour ago, reelben said:

Hi Gary use only Ropieee without XL 

I want only a clean os for play roon. 

This I use only roon bridge to my nuc. 

It's plays fantastic 🎶 

My Shanti I have no hum.. Only the first brake in with power on. 

Now it plays a couple of weeks,,.. Than must I  must put my ear on it, before I it hear. 

I never turn the switch off  for my Shanti or usb bridge,, it's only play 🎻🎶 

Great to hear! I'm planning on using mine in a similar way, always on! I'll need to give Ropieee a fairer chance!

Thanks all!

Best Regards, Gary

Hi GarryL83

we stand behind our products. From what you describe , it seems that your fuse is not making good contact (my best guess at the moment) , try resetting , then we will PM you with a solution. In the worst case , we will exchange it of course.

Arm v7 ..I don't know why but you have definitely a RPI 3b+ CPU inside .

Good to know, I'm hopeful it will work:-)

Regarding ARM, as long as I'm trying to solve a genuine discrepancy, rather a deliberate design decision.

Thank you for your support!