IGNORED

New Focal XS 2.1 for 100$ is It worth it ?

If you can place the sub on the same surface as and roughly between satellite speakers it they could be an avenue to better sound for you.  Otherwise I would look more seriously at two speaker options with larger woofers and good tweeter implementation.  

What is important is your appreciation of music grows through intelligently picking hardware that matches the environment it will be used in.  Good speakers can sound just as irritating as bad ones.

32 minutes ago, rando said:

If you can place the sub on the same surface as and roughly between satellite speakers it they could be an avenue to better sound for you. 

Really ?? Why should this sub be put on the same level as the speakers ? What am I missing here? I thought the best general sub placement is on the floor 

32 minutes ago, rando said:

What is important is your appreciation of music grows through intelligently picking hardware that matches the environment it will be used in.  Good speakers can sound just as irritating as bad ones.

I thought this speaker are perfectly matched for a user who wants a bassy setup and tight desktop space  that Can’t accommodate  for something like a pair of 8” monitors 

2 hours ago, pippenainteasy said:

It looks like basically a trendier looking equivalent of the Klipsch 2.1 Promedia. So it's worth a shot.

It does , rarely do you find a quality 2.1 system at that price , it was originally priced for 600$ which is completely ridiculous, they do sound good but no way near that price range

Sit on the floor under your desk next to the subwoofer.  Hmm, all that bass locked up in a mostly sealed off cavern is not ideal is it?  Hardly replicates the experience of a large open room where ALL speakers are aligned and acting together with no barriers to sound reaching your ears.  

Now what if we place the sub on top of the desk between the other two speakers and attempt our near field experiment again? Even behind a monitor we get bass better time aligned and accurately portrayed.  

40 minutes ago, rando said:

Sit on the floor under your desk next to the subwoofer.  Hmm, all that bass locked up in a mostly sealed off cavern is not ideal is it?  Hardly replicates the experience of a large open room where ALL speakers are aligned and acting together with no barriers to sound reaching your ears.  

Now what if we place the sub on top of the desk between the other two speakers and attempt our near field experiment again? Even behind a monitor we get bass better time aligned and accurately portrayed.  

I guess you are right , when I tried it at the store it was at the same layout as well , desk space can’t handle it though , warning stupid question ahead , can I put a shock absorbant Mat on top of the woofer and put the display monitor on top of it ? 

I owned the XS 2.1 system for many years.  It isn't the current model but in no way is it outdated.  The only thing outdated would be the phone cradle that comes with it, but you don't have to use the phone cradle.

$100 used would be an incredible buy.  $100 new is crazy good.  If you don't buy it, shoot me a pm.  I'll buy it and give it to someone as a present.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

5 hours ago, Blake said:

I owned the XS 2.1 system for many years.  It isn't the current model but in no way is it outdated.  The only thing outdated would be the phone cradle that comes with it, but you don't have to use the phone cradle.

$100 used would be an incredible buy.  $100 new is crazy good.  If you don't buy it, shoot me a pm.  I'll buy it and give it to someone as a present.

It’s in Egypt I don’t think it’s worth the shipping fees for you 😁

I think I’ll buy them tomorrow I have already reserved them, hope it’s not a lemon as it’s the last piece 

7 hours ago, Blake said:

How would you describe it though ? Pros / cons 

10 hours ago, Phonautograph said:

How would you describe it though ? Pros / cons 

It worked great for my desktop at work.  I thought the sound quality was much better than your typical big name consumer desktop speakers.  I liked the XS 2.1 set up slightly more than the Audioengine A5 speakers I was using before, although it was close.  The subwoofer in the XS 2.1 was the determining factor, as the A5's just don't reproduce the low frequencies.

For the price, the sound is relatively clear and open and detailed, with a decently wide and deep sound stage and good imaging (your room and your placement of the speakers will be the major factors in the sound stage).  The sound balance is somewhat more to the high frequencies and lighter sounding, as opposed to being mid-centric and full-bodied.  The sound is rather neutral.

I sold the XS 2.1 to a co-worker as I decided to invest significantly more money to further upgrade my desktop system as I spend so much time listening to music in my office.   My co-worker loves it.    In terms of "cons", some may prefer a warmer, fuller sound, but at this price range there will always be compromises.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

6 hours ago, Blake said:

For the price, the sound is relatively clear and open and detailed, with a decently wide and deep sound stage and good imaging (your room and your placement of the speakers will be the major factors in the sound stage).  

Where was your sub placement on the floor or the desk ? 

Floor.  Just place it roughly the same distance to your listening position as the speakers and you will be fine.

12 hours ago, Phonautograph said:

Lol, my desk is too light for it thus rattling and vibrating heavily and doesn’t have enough depth , it was blowing air in my face 😁

Crazy you can have desk rattling bass with the port chuffing air in your face at work. 

A desk as near field listening location with subwoofer on the floor is hard to imagine.  Equidistant between speakers is roughly where your feet go.

Must be missing something.  Maybe you or @Blake can describe where you arrived at placing it?

Crappy pic, you can just see the top of the sub in the extreme lower left-hand side of the photo.  The sub is placed at a roughly equal distance with the left speaker, not in the middle.

sub-2.jpg

1 hour ago, rando said:

Crazy you can have desk rattling bass with the port chuffing air in your face at work. 

A desk as near field listening location with subwoofer on the floor is hard to imagine.  Equidistant between speakers is roughly where your feet go

I wish I can listen to speakers at my work , but sadly I can’t , that was blake who used them at his office 

I have it slightly to the left as well , to be honest I felt it sounded better on the floor as well , when I did some reading online I found out that low frequency waves are omnidirectional thus they don’t have to be placed on ear level , they do recommend that it being placed elevated on a table in order not to extend its vibration to the floor and cause unwanted booming 

update

i changed the usb cable and the hissing noise went away , which was great , I then decided to add Bluetooth to the setup via an h/k adaptor that I have and it fits the styling perfectly 

CCCD228B-1462-40CD-8A12-19CD81F505A7.jpeg.d5e4bb7919cbddfe51c8f20f343accac.jpeg

whats unexpected is that the speaker outputs from both the aux in (Bluetooth) and the integrated usb DAC at the same time , I can play a song on my iPad which connected by bt and another song from my pc which is connected by usb and both of them overlay each other

19 hours ago, rando said:

A desk as near field listening location with subwoofer on the floor is hard to imagine.  Equidistant between speakers is roughly where your feet go.

Must

I have found this at focal’s Website 

Three amplifiers are integrated inside the subwoofer, 70W RMS for the bass, 2x30W RMS for the speakers. To be placed under your desk, on the floor. A set-up of the bass level permits to adapt to the room acoustics and proportions.

.https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/multimedia-and-wireless/focal-xs-21/focal-xs-21

There are several good reasons for subs to go on the floor.  Rattling/vibration/etc/ have been discussed.

The bigger two reasons are:

1.  Placing a sub up high induces a floor bounce reflection.  The sound from the subwoofer takes (at least) two paths:  One directly to your ear and another down to the floor,  and then reflected back to your ear.  The path length of the floor bounce equates to a cancelation in the upper bass region, which you don't want.  All reflections are bad.  This is one we can eliminate by placing it low.

2.  Many subwoofers have response that goes much higher than you would expect.  This is why you can hear the lower part of voices and things when you play a subwoofer all by itself.  If the sub is at (or near) ear level, you tend to hear these higher frequencies.  Placing the sub low masks these high frequencies more.  

Brian.