IGNORED

Can a simple media server setup deliver convincing sound?

fas42

That's what I'm exploring at the moment - this is new to me, so just investigating what's out there for now ... pretty obviously this will be a SBC, most likely a Raspberry talking to a directly connected DAC board - I have an older RPi sitting here, and looking at the myriad DAC options available; most likely ultra cheap boards will trialed, so that severe hacking and possible major and terminal damage inflicted, to get answers. Aim is to drive best value for money active speakers, which need least fiddling to get up to speed ...

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Sometimes I hear my mac book air sounds pretty convincingly. It is not cheap, but has very simple audio.

Simple is often the best route. There is less room for weaknesses to degrade the sound, and there is obviously less that has to be optimised. The downside is that often compromises are made in the design, because it's "just a cheap solution!" - the trick is to navigate through that, and find the best items to work with, best value for money.

The TauDAC combo, costing $650, shows what can be acquired at the top end of the scale, in raw form, and apparently delivers the quality, https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/ethernet_audio3_e.html. The point is to spend nowhere near that money, find the "sweet spot", :).

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

That's what I'm exploring at the moment - this is new to me, so just investigating what's out there for now ... pretty obviously this will be a SBC, most likely a Raspberry talking to a directly connected DAC board - I have an older RPi sitting here, and looking at the myriad DAC options available; most likely ultra cheap boards will trialed, so that severe hacking and possible major and terminal damage inflicted, to get answers. Aim is to drive best value for money active speakers, which need least fiddling to get up to speed ...

I am certain that a simple media server like the Raspberry can deliver good sound. I dedicated second hand DAC/CD player can be purchased rather cheap and will sound better than almost all DAC boards that is located and that get its power directly from the computer. A good dedicated DAC, CD or Blu ray player is important and even more so if you going to connect it directly to active speakers. It has to have enough clear output power otherwise it will never sound good.

I don’t know what the best value active speakers would be, but JBL has some decent low cost ones that you can add a subwoofer too later on. 

https://www.thomann.de/se/jbl_308p_mkii.htm