IGNORED

Bits is bits?

The ability to reproduce a realistic sound stage and all other SQ aspect associated with the sound of a live concert depends of the fulfillment of tree general conditions. All need to be really good for us to get the sensation that we are hearing music that sounds like it’s been played on a stage in front of us. The reproduction is never 100% like IRL though, but if all tree conditions are accomplished we can get pretty close.   

1. The record. If the sound stage is small, the ambient over damped or any other limitations the recorded will sound like that. That includes the height. A good and accurate recording of the event is therefore paramount.
  2. The listening room. A big room with high ceiling and good acoustic there you can set up the speakers further apart (everything else held equal) will present a better sound with bigger sound stage and with more air between the musicians.  
  3. The audio system. Well matched gear of good SQ will reproduce a more realistic sound stage, deep bas and all other aspect related with the sound of a live concert better and more lifelike than a stereo setup with not as good and matching gear. The audio gear should of course also match the size and the acoustics of the room.

So yes the height of the sound-stage and the ability to reproduce that and many other sound aspects realistic depends on record, listening room and your audio system. If OTOH one of the above is not fulfilled the sound will not sound even close to a realistic sound-stage.

19 hours ago, JanRSmit said:

Basically our hearing system had little if any capability to hear in vertical direction. It is therefore indeed mostly perception. Imagine airplane sound from bellen of underground metro from above. 

It is no problem to hear if a sound is coming in front, below or above us. It’s not as prices as horizontal, but I would not say it’s lacking.

9 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

I don’t necessarily agree with point 2. I used to think that a large room was desirable but then I learned that a large room has challenges, just like a small room. The major advantage of a big room is that you can position speakers in free space and there’s a lot of flexibility to find the ideal listening position. The disadvantage is that it can be slightly echoey, with its own acoustic that gets superimposed on the recording’s acoustic. Big rooms also require much larger speakers to fully energise.  Large rooms can support deeper bass but that can also be problematic if dimensions cause some major bass resonances (standing waves). Finally large rooms can typically accommodate more people sitting in a reasonable position. In a large room its also easier to integrate (hide) acoustic treatments, but correspondingly more expensive to treat

A small room has its many challenges too. It needs a good source of diffusion so you don’t get a lot of energetic sound waves bouncing in the same direction. . It needs to have an optimum RT (reverb time) and it needs well matched speakers that don’t cause bass problems. Also the need to position speakers in free space doesn’t go away so there are far more limitations on speaker positioning and listening position, which often in a small room is a one man affair. Finally its very difficult to employ acoustic treatments in anything other than a superficial manner, so the room has to be reasonably good acoustically from the get go. 

I didn’t specify how big a big room and what room is small. I presented three conditions that will be of importance for reproducing an accurate sound and sound-stage.

IME, a big room with high ceiling and good acoustic there you can set up the speakers further away (everything else held equal) will present a better sound with bigger sound stage and with more air between the musicians.  In conditions three I stated that the audio gear should of course also match the size and the acoustics of the room.

53 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Its also far less common in recordings. You don’t hear the effect with every recording as you do with the horizontal plain.  Layering or stacking images seems to be a more recentish development as I don’t recall hearing elevated imagery in old jazz recordings. I’ll check that statement sometime, so its just my recollection. 

My remark was about human ability to hear sound in vertical directions and not from recordings.

I can’t understand why so many people feel that they need to make it their life mission to debunk what many audiophiles say that they can hear. If what some people hear or think they hear is all bias, so what! Is it really a problem what someone want to spend their money on? Deforestation, climate change, over-fishing, Ebola and other virus epidemics and many other things are of common concern. If I want to spend my money on an IMO “better” USB cable, is not. The rescue mission to save audiophiles from their own bias is only beneficial up to a point after its just touting of ideas.

I believe that a bit is a bit. Is there nothing more too good sound than to get a bit perfect transmission? Yes of that I am sure. And yes I can be sure without knowing exactly what it is that makes two bit perfect digital gear sound different, I just know they can do. It’s the same then I throw a ball up in the air. I don’t need to know exactly why it will fall back down, it will do so regardless of my knowledge. My ultimate measuring instrument for SQ difference between gears is my ear. To some what I or other hear is useless, but if something sounds good to me in my system it’s sounds good to me. If something OTOH doesn’t sounds good to me in my system it’s not for me. It’s IMHO a simple and subjective way of selecting and matching audio gear, but in my experience also the best.