IGNORED

usb cables?

13 hours ago, marce said:

Load of crap.

and

Bit like my current favourite system, SET with open baffle speakers... bad though it may be having that distortion, I prefer its presentation to a more accurate system.

Thanks for allowing me to again point out where the confusion has arisen in audioland  :) ... simply put, both the SET, and the supposedly accurate system are adding distortion, audible, to the perceived sound. The SET version is 'nice', and easily measured; the 'accurate' one is relatively unpleasant in many ways, but the anomalies making it so are hard to measure.

The solution is to eliminate both distortion types - which then combines all the bits that you enjoy in the SET rig, with all the pluses of full accuracy.

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Your thinking assumes that recordings always accurately capture the live event.

This isn't true and no turd polishing of your equipment can change this.

Recordings have always captured enough information for the mind to reassemble the event that occurred - it may require the ear/brain to do quite a bit of "filling the gaps", and to filter out the irrelevant artifacts; but the power of what's in our head is truly astonishing if it's given half a chance ... I have been amazed so many times, myself, at how recordings that sound truly awful on a setup that constantly draws my attention to the deficiencies, radically change as an experience when the system works well enough to give my mind the ammunition to fully sort, unconsciously, what I'm hearing ...

51 minutes ago, mansr said:

For the record, Mani was nothing but friendly when we met. It was only after I refused to bow down and lick his boots in response to whatever fluke gave rise to the infamous 9/10 that he turned nasty. Guess I should have seen it coming.

Do you realise how that statement comes across?

4 hours ago, musicguy said:

So,  I got my blackcat silverstar usb.  

This was what i was looking for.  This cable sounds better than my AQ cinnamon.    The bass is way more fuller stronger.   The air  and treble seem balanced.   The rhythm and pace of the music has that groove that makes you tap your foot.  

And that what the people who keep interjecting in the belief that such thinking is nonsense, and feel the need to "correct you" seem incapable of understanding ... by using a cable that alters the distortion characteristics of the replay chain, through subtly adjusting the overall integrity of the system, you have got closer to be being to hear more of what the recording is all about, and are less aware of the sound signature of the gear.

3 hours ago, musicguy said:

So   I have a question,  to all who thinks it just science??

Have any  of you ever?  Ever just found a cable that made your say WOW?

That's  What im getting here!!

musicguy.     

Note the people posting here who still can't understand the extremely simple principle in operation - when something is not working correctly, then it fails to satisfy in providing "good service" - a high performance vehicle with a 'bug' buried in the complexities of the engine will end up making you hate the thing - just because it's not working properly.

Using the 'right' cable is merely adjusting the overall integrity of the playback system by a relatively small amount - just enough to give the ear/brain enough of the good stuff from the recording without it being contaminated too much by setup weaknesses. A switch flicks over in your mind, and you suddenly can connect fully with what's on the recording - this is not a tiny variation in the subjective takeaway, it's a major step change in the enjoyment factor ... the supercar engine goes from being a nightmare, to a provider of great pleasure, :).

3 hours ago, musicguy said:

@kumakuma

so you have no cables?

nothing you thought sounded better or worst.   

trust me.   Im not after cables.  im after music.   I want to hear harmonics,  air ,  space.  

Thats what  im after at!

musicguy

The human mind is a remarkable 'instrument' - provide it with the right clues, and it 'gets' what a reproduction system is trying to convey; but disappoint the ear/brain with too much low level muck, then the sound you hear remains always at a relatively pedestrian quality level ... if the latter is always "as good as it gets", then you will believe that such is how the universe works ... ^_^.

I first had your experience 35 years ago ... unfortunately, it is far harder to guarantee that any playback rig is in the right shape to deliver competency; this is a knowledge and experience thing.

5 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!!

No, you are all caught up in a group think about what's important - yes, it's mighty hard to counter a way of the doing of something when almost everybody else echos your own attitudes. As someone who sees things from another perspective, I can point to where people are coming across solutions, usually by accident, which overlap with a far more effective approach, IME.

6 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

You really haven't read this thread, have you?

You see, from my perspective the original question, "top performing usb cables?" is like asking a mechanic which auto accessory shop gizmo is best for attaching to my engine, to stop it running erratically; and he stares at me with a glazed look ... :P.

2 hours ago, kumakuma said:

How do the folks saying that USB cables don't really matter much fit into your analogy and your accusations of "group think"? 

USB cables "matter" if the only ways of improving the perceived SQ that one is willing to entertain is the substitution with different ones, or aletring configurations of such - if you do this rigorously enough it's highly likely that you will "luck" on one that happens to do the right things for your system.

Personally, I see the USB connection as a area where systems seem particularly subject to weaknesses - so my solution would be to completely eliminate that as a means of transferring data.