IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - High Capacity Micro SD Card

@vortecjr .. this interests me greatly. I would love to take my Mac mini out of the equation entirely and this seems to be a perfect solution for me. Apologies up front for my lack of understanding .. I'm a networking idiot.

The Mac mini is used only for audio/NAS duties and is located on another floor of my house. I use Asset UPnP and my library of WAV files are located on an Oyen Digital hard drive tethered to the Mac via FireWire. I use a Chromebook for general computing, including mRendu management, but I can also use the Mac, of course.

I don't understand how to get my current library of music onto the SD card using the "default shared folder" mentioned in your post and was hoping you would elaborate further. Is this done through the new "Local Storage" section? Alternatively, can you load music files onto the SD card using the Mac's SDXC card slot? Sorry, I'm clueless and would like to understand before ordering the high capacity SD card. Thank you.

FWIW, I've enabled my WAV folder as a share on the network and was able to find and use the files on my Chromebook (amazingly, I might add) so I do understand a little bit.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:59 PM, vortecjr said:

Local Playback with MPD 

Here is an example of how to use the Rendu with MPD as the onboard player and YMPD as the onboard controller. You can also use Rigelian as the controller on your iPad or any other MPD client for control.

From the Rendu web interface in Apps, you will see a new icon named Local Storage.

250593605_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_10PM.png.41a7d5a7573d8be7e8c9ce0588ca4e00.png

Clicking on Apps / Local Storage lets you see the size of your storage drive, how much space is used, and how much space is available on the micro SD card.

747628432_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_22PM.png.63c4631b448a94f6894979c59334bd29.png

My drive was empty so I dropped some content into the default shared folder over the network. Here is some FLAC / Blues ready for use in playback. 

19 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Don't overlook Soundirok as an excellent MPD client. I will be interested to know what access speeds and database updates are like with the local storage.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Access speed with both Rigelian and YMPD (if that's what you mean) is instantaneous. Updates aren't particularly slow or fast .. not bad at all so far.

@vortecjr .. the only glitch so far is with cover art not showing up. Rigelian shows it's finding folder.jpg but it's not displaying the cover. My files are .wav and all cover art is in the appropriate folder. Any tips?

2 hours ago, Doak said:

No tips, sorry, but am very curious to know if there is a difference in sound quality with playback with local SD card compared to network storage. 

My first listen this morning was quite positive but it was much too brief to declare/decide anything just yet. I look forward to some play time this evening and over the weekend. I'd like to sort out the cover art issue first.

1 hour ago, Axiom05 said:

Where did  you tell Rigelian to find cover art? IIRC it should be http:// (IP address of Rendu)/music (or name of your local music folder)

I didn't, it was all automatic. It finds and reports the correct address and folder, at least I think it does (music plays), but I could be wrong. I emailed the developer but haven't heard back yet. When I get home from work today I'll futz with it to see if I can figure out what is amiss.

So, cover art .. I've perused the Rigelian settings, scant documentation, the developers website, and emailed the developer for enlightenment but am still am clueless how to get cover art to show. Here is a screenshot showing what appears to be the correct path:

1069312042_coverart.thumb.jpg.58bd552a67932eb3e7566b36c0c3a897.jpg

This screenshot was generated by a long-press on the album, then selecting "Cover Assistant". 

In the meantime, the sound quality is as @vortecjr mentioned .. fantastic.

Never mind the cover art .. I don't care.

The library took a few hours to load. Not bad at all, really. It's hard not to comment on the sound quality even at this point. I've played some very familiar favorites and yes, there is a difference in sound quality, an improvement across the board. Piano is a revelation. For those of us with libraries under 400 GB this is a nice option. I love the simplicity and it's fast. Jesus, a most definite value-added option for an already great product.

Just a follow-up .. Berrie, the developer of Rigelian, nicely got back to me. He mentioned a couple of things, one being the cover art retrieval via Gracenote is broken and will be replaced in the next version of the app. He also mentioned being unable to find out if Sonicorbitor supports cover art. I linked this thread in my reply. Perhaps he will join the conversation.