IGNORED

No sound on Allo Katana

9 hours ago, trentgd said:

I have exactly this problem too - it stopped outputting sound and the controller board is now very hot (I had done no software updates, etc..).  Please let me know how to fix or replace.  Thank you!

Is it possible to measure the voltages on MCU board ? Forwarded PM also please check

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, MikeFarmwald said:

My Katana has also stopped working with the same problems: very low, distorted volume.

Has anyone managed to fix this? I'm happy to resolder some components if that's the problem.

Mike

Can you please  measure the voltages on MCU board and share ? Forwarded PM also please check

3 minutes ago, MikeFarmwald said:

I'm not entirely sure where to check the voltages on the MCU, but I don't see +- 15v anywhere, and the large (1000uF, 35v) cap looks damaged.

Could send let me know where the to check the voltages?

Mike

We have already send document link through PM to measure voltages on micro controller board . Please check.

Please refer below document link to measure voltages on micro controller board.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/sparky_linux_images/blob/master/katana-Controller-V measure-points.pdf

• 5 months later...

Hi, having a  Katana connected with an Isolator 1.3 to an RPi 3B running dual power with a tweaked iPower 5v supply for the microcontroller and a bare iPower connected to the isolator.

Outstanding sound through my Quad 303 + 22L !!!

Some day, my daughter reported strange noises and some smoke comming from the (now dead) links tweeter of my beloved Quad 22L !!!😬...

Now  Katana functionning properly again (sure there is a God feeling concerned about our Audiophile enthousiast vicissitudes 😉  ) under surveillance, using It for some limited time to avoid over-heating.

I did the following measures:

5v -> 4.35v measured (should be at least 4.5v)

4.2v -> 3.87v measured (instead of 4.2v said Allo guys)

+15v -> 14,8v measured

-15v -> -14.95v measured (should be between 14.5 and 15v so OK but not very symetrical !)

Any help highly appreciated !

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 12:00 AM, Jo said:

Hi, having a  Katana connected with an Isolator 1.3 to an RPi 3B running dual power with a tweaked iPower 5v supply for the microcontroller and a bare iPower connected to the isolator.

Outstanding sound through my Quad 303 + 22L !!!

Some day, my daughter reported strange noises and some smoke comming from the (now dead) links tweeter of my beloved Quad 22L !!!😬...

Now  Katana functionning properly again (sure there is a God feeling concerned about our Audiophile enthousiast vicissitudes 😉  ) under surveillance, using It for some limited time to avoid over-heating.

I did the following measures:

5v -> 4.35v measured (should be at least 4.5v)

4.2v -> 3.87v measured (instead of 4.2v said Allo guys)

+15v -> 14,8v measured

-15v -> -14.95v measured (should be between 14.5 and 15v so OK but not very symetrical !)

Any help highly appreciated !

Kindly reminder: is it possible to have some hints from Allo (how to prevent over-eating, for example) ?

Any help appreciated !

Jo

Not from Allo, but I was involved with Beta testing & tweaking the Katana for the final shipped versions.

IMHO, the best thing you can due to prevent overheating & keep your Katana functional is to turn off the DC-DC converter & add a separate linear +-15V supply to power the output OpAmp board.

See more in this thread on DIYAudio where I was responding to a similar question...

Greg in Mississippi

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/getting-the-best-out-of-allo-coms-new-katana-dac.329911/post-7108255

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

On 11/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, gstew said:

Not from Allo, but I was involved with Beta testing & tweaking the Katana for the final shipped versions.

IMHO, the best thing you can due to prevent overheating & keep your Katana functional is to turn off the DC-DC converter & add a separate linear +-15V supply to power the output OpAmp board.

See more in this thread on DIYAudio where I was responding to a similar question...

Greg in Mississippi

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/getting-the-best-out-of-allo-coms-new-katana-dac.329911/post-7108255

Thank you Greg, good news for me because I planned to add suche a +-15v PS (LM317/ LM337 + TL431).

I will read this topic in detail, regards !