IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

We are in the frankly bizarre situation where power supplies are being discussed as having a “sound”. The function of a power supply is to supply clean, unimpeded power, without noise. 

My goal is to eliminate sound from the components, and listen to the music. 

Power supplies don't have a sound per se... but their imperfections excite problems in downstream equipment weaknesses. Which can lead to "upgrade-itis" over a problem that

a better power supply wouldn't excite or  better designed power input circuitry for the device wouldn't expose.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

49 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

HELP!

Trying to decide on a new power supply for my microRendu 1.4 currently being powered by an LPS-1 with an Lt3045 board afterward. Narrowed it down to the new Sonore UltraSupply (alas no feedback yet), the Ultracap 1.2, or a JS-2 (esp if I can find a deal like the used one on offer yesterday!)

Or  I have my eye on a used Sonore Signature Series Power Supply with an UltraRendu bundle, which would place that PS at about the same price as the Ultra or LPS 1.2 though I'd also have to buy the UltraRendu (albeit at a good price) and sell off the mR 1.4 for a loss. 

Can anyone compare the Signature PS with the LPS-1,  LPS-1.2 or new Ultra? Or others?  Anything else I should consider in the $3-600 range?

I suggest whatever path you choose for a next power supply allows you settings in the range of 7-12 v so that changing endpoint device in  the future still allows you to to use/compare with your power supply investment

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

It may be the simplest solution for some, but it's still an expensive option.

I'm willing to pay for expensive solutions that work (within reason 😉).  Given that the LPS 1.2 can't power an i3/i5/i7 NUC, @Superdad I'd really like to see an

LPS "2.0"  that had the current capability to power these NUC's in low power (endpoint) mode. Does look like the pentium NUC's have been discontinued so

that an LPS 1.2 is no longer viable for new NUC endpoint purchase.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 hours ago, Summit said:

The digital to analogue conversion always takes place in the DAC and it is always the local oscillators that is involved in the D -> A conversion clocking. So no matter if we are talking SPDIF, AES or async USB the final conversion is always done by the D/A conversion clock in the DAC. Besides the D/A conversion oscillators that is placed very near the dac chip in the DAC, we also have other oscillators that are clocking the digital interfaces: SPDIF, LAN, AES and USB.

The difference between SPDIF/AES and async USB is not which clock that does the final conversion, it’s about there the master clock is located - in the DAC or in the source upstream of the DAC.

The master clock dictate the clock and sample rate and the timing for sending/receiving the digital stream, which are sent to the D/A conversion clock. I repeat the master clock dictate how to send the digital signal to the DAC and at what speed/rate. With no type of digital interface the conversion clocks in the DAC is bypassed, never.

Both USB, LAN and SPDIF/AES are clocked with other oscillators which operate on totally different clock frequencies than the final conversion clocks: 44.1, 88.2, 96 Khz, 192, DSD 1, DSD 2 and so on sample rates.  

Then consider this result with Schitt Eitr USB converter, same USB cable setup (USPCB into ISO Regen, Lush 2 out from ISO Regen

microRendu 1.3 used with ISO Regen reclocker as Roon endpoint, audio performance enhanced vs no ISO Regen

NUC7PJYH used with AL and ISO Regen as Roon endpoint, audio performance degraded vs no ISO Regen

your thoughts on why this resulted?

Mine so far is that the ISO Regen has been tailored to bandaid timing defect characteristics, vs improving actual timing

Regards,

Dave

Audio system