IGNORED

Some commonsense

10 hours ago, STC said:

As far as recording is concerned, go as high as possible. Even though most microphones spec can indicate frequency response up to 20kHz but they do not indicate at what distance they measured them. In most recordings, you see sharp attenuation after 15kHz for mic position at a practical distance. 

When you use microphones going almost flat extending up to 30kHz, the HF of audible range at recording position will be higher than a microphone which measures flat up to 20kHz only. And then if you take into consideration of the ADC filter, there will be difference in the recording of the two different formats.  Most of the comments that you hear that they do not make any difference, should ask when was the last time they used a microphone that can capture ultra frequencies.  Opinions based on recordings made with microphones designed to be flat up to 20kHz and justifying the results of double blind tests are not a proper way to judge the SQ of high rez format.

A recording made with microphones going up to 50 kHz at 24/96 will sound better at a distance compared to a mic that measures flat up to 20kHz. This is true even if you down sample the 50kHz mic to 24/44.1. Having said that, you would NOT hear the difference between the original 50khz mic at 24/96 format and the same track downsampled to 24/44.1. Not easy anyway nor it matters to me.

The last time I used high frequency mics was a couple of weeks ago with my Sony digital recorder. I don’t see much  up there with Americana music.

1 hour ago, STC said:

Look for frequencies from 10 to 20 kHz and compare them with a standard mic. 

Don’t get started on matching mics. And at a minimum I carry a frequency analyzer on my phone and use it. I’m constantly looking a 10 to 20 kHz.  And 20 hz which I try very hard to avoid.

26 minutes ago, STC said:

Here is a sample. MP3 upsampled to 24/44.1. Both Mics were designed for vocal. One spec'ed to 20kHz and another to50kHz. I hear the slight elevated HF even though the whole track did not extend more than 16kHz. Full details later. Maybe DW can come handy here.

HiMic vs Standard.wav 7.01 MB · 1 download

Are you making the assumption that higher is better? In many.cases lower would be what the artists, engineers and label wants.