IGNORED

What angle do you have for speaker positions?

6 hours ago, GregWormald said:

My speakers and chair are on an equilateral triangle as in the diagram. I cross my speakers axis about 2-3 feet in front of my ears. I tried this 'cause it's what Ken Ishiwata recommends and I like it better than other angle arrangements. You will have to experiment to find what works for you in your room. 

AnotherSpin--No. Change the balance at the pre-amp. Sitting closer to one speaker changes R-L phase relationships as well as sound level.

I use big old Cabasse and Cabasse suggested 1.5 x time the distance between speakers as the distance between center of speakers and  LP. An old french paper L' Audiophile demonstrated that the sweet spot widens back the theoretical equilateral triangle LP.

Hence I cross axes at equilateral triangle position but sit further back

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Très amusants ... umm, I "prefer" the quality of liveness - and, strangely enough, that never gets lost when listening to live instruments; whether in the "best seats", or while out in the lobby, or within a couple of feet of someone going for it on an instrument. Far better than a concert is coming upon a busker; what does he sound like when you can reach out and touch the instrument, you're that close; as compared to hearing him after going around a corner down the street. And, most peculiar of all, I don't think of "harsh, screechy mids/upper-mids" when getting a earful of real world music making ...

Audio rigs usually fall down badly, in at least one extreme of where one is listening ... they don't have to, but that's where 'conjuring' comes in, :).

seconds before I come upon a busker it's not the absence of harsh etc that leads me to identify live music it's... euh, liveliness, that is speed, integration/coherence of the whole frequency range

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 5:06 AM, gmgraves said:

Ah, yes, of course,

Well, since the speakers are well forward of the TV screen , I don’t think it’s  problem. The speakers image beautifully. 

OK. My TV is not connected to my audio system - except that I use it as a computer monitor for my Tidal account, which I access on my Mac PowerBook with an app on my iPad from my listening chair.

I used to roll my Tv on a stand from one room to another to place it on demand (very occasionally, movies only) between the speakers. And then I recently went back to the future with a KRP 500 Pioneer Plasma TV (reset and revolted, damn good) and the thing is so heavy that it cracked the wood floor at door's (between the 2 rooms) level.

A whole life of audiophilia or a gorgeous sound when watching movies was to be forsaken...

When not in use, I just roll the Plasma set as far back as I can in the loudspeakers' room...

And I still get a gorgeous image when it exists on record