IGNORED

Impressions of Lumin T2?

Hi I am new to this site. I just posted in another thread about Lumin but it was an old thread so I may have better luck here.

I have a Lumin T2 that is connected via analog to my AVR. On a different forum Peter Lie told me to turn off signal processing to be able to use the DAC in the Lumin. I tried this an the consensus in my family is that it sounds much better with the room correction and the use of my subwoofers.

I would like to try to T2 with its DAC and being able to use my subs. How do I do this. I feel like I have wasted my money on the T2 if I am not using the DAC. 

I have thought about buying a separate preamp which has a much higher level DAC than my Anthem 1120 AVR 

I just feel that I am missing something in the set up if I can't get the full benefit of streaming and the DAC from the T2. Thanks

I am confused by what you have described.  I have a T2 and multiple subwoofers in my audio system.  I use the DAC in the T2, with the analog output of the T2 connected to an analog input of my preamplifier.  This preamplifier has Dirac room correction software incorporated, and I use it with all of my inputs (both analog and digital).  Dirac impacts all of my speakers, including my subwoofers, and provides a remarkably flat frequency response in my room all the way down to around 18Hz.

I don't see why you cannot do the same thing with your setup.  

@EastBayBob if you want DSP/room correction you need to go digital.

Dirac, miniDSP, some dacs like RME ADI-2 Dac FS, apply DSP in the digital domain.

Therefore if you enter your AV with an analog signal it will be converted to digital, DSP will be applied, then it will be converted back to analog by its (the one in your AV) dac.

If you enter with a digital signal then DSP will be applied and the signal converted to analog by the internal AV dac.

There is no way to do do it in another way.

That’s why Peter was telling you to disable signal processing in your AV if you wanted to use (better said to hear) the T2 internal dac.

To better clarify the signal path:

• from T2 to the AV the signal is processed by T2, that’s to say you are using the T2 dac, and the resulting analog signal will go to the AV
  • in the AV the analog signal, if the DSP is active, is converted to digital, DSP is applied, and the signal is converted again to analog

in this scenario the signal is converted three times

1. from digital to analog in the T2, by the T2 dac
  2. from analog to digital inside the AV, before the DSP, by the AV ADC converter
  3. from digital to analog inside the AV, after the DSP, by the AV DAC converter

… hope this can help

Stefano

My audio system

Thank you Stefano, So if I understand you correctly if I want room correction and the use of my bass I do need to turn sound processing off and then I will be using the Lumin as both DAC and streamer. 

If this is the case would the Lumin sound better with a high quality preamp with bypass so that I can also use my Anthem 1120 for home theater.

I would be using a SimAudio two channel amp, Anthem STR preamp and the Lumin

When I heard the T2 at my dealer's showroom it was not hooked up to a home theater receiver, and the sound was amazing so I bought it 

When I get a chance I plan on going back to the dealer and I will ask him about this

Thanks