IGNORED

Anyone compare Pro-Ject Stream box vs Lumin u1?

I know they have two totally different user interfaces. However, If one wants to have a streamer/player that passes bit for bit (including MQA-Bluesound will not do that to an external dac if using ROON) and supports being a Roon endpoint, which of the two would be better? Any other alternatives? 

Since you mentioned Lumin U1, I'd like to add that we also have a U1 MINI at a lower price.

If you're planning to use something primarily for Roon, you should check Roon forum about user feedback.

If you're buying a DAC at the same time, I recommend you go for an integrated solution (regardless of whether you choose our brand or another), instead of a separate streamer + DAC.  This way you won't have to worry about USB cable sounding different, or high rate DSD compatibility (that often transforms into a really technical question of whether a USB DAC is Linux native DSD compatible and running the proper USB firmware, and whether the streamer has appropriate Linux kernel patch for a particular USB DAC), etc.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, wklie said:

Since you mentioned Lumin U1, I'd like to add that we also have a U1 MINI at a lower price.

If you're planning to use something primarily for Roon, you should check Roon forum about user feedback.

If you're buying a DAC at the same time, I recommend you go for an integrated solution (regardless of whether you choose our brand or another), instead of a separate streamer + DAC.  This way you won't have to worry about USB cable sounding different, or high rate DSD compatibility (that often transforms into a really technical question of whether a USB DAC is Linux native DSD compatible and running the proper USB firmware, and whether the streamer has appropriate Linux kernel patch for a particular USB DAC), etc.

Thanks Peter. I really want a Lumin T2, however, it is outside my price point ( no dealers have any demo or trades units to sell since it's so new). I then looked at the D2 and of course, everyone says T2 is a major step above and should wait. :(