IGNORED

Substitute for Chomecast audio?

Does it have to be USB?  An old, unused DAP via AUX port.  If Android based could load an Endpoint app.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, firedog said:

Haven't tested, b/c I don't yet have the powered speakers the device will be hooked up to. I think I am going to buy 2 devices: a Chromecast audio off ebay: (yes, in spite of what I previously thought they are so cheap I might as well),; and a Raspberry PI built into a touch screen/stand from Volumio. One of my goals for this setup is to add a SB Touch replacement, hence the item from Volumio.  The Chromecast will go into the powered USB port on the speakers and the Pi will connect via AUX. 

I am interested in your experiences with the Volumio.  I have an unnatural fear of Linux and have yet to try a Pi.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Thanks.  I am more interested in appliances and not DIY...as my SBT.

I gave a Pi to my 12 yr old nephew for Christmas and he had it up and running in minutes...I suppose I could fly him in to setup...

Thanks @bluesman .  I need to update my signature a bit.  I use JRiver & Foobar for local playback and not network...I tried JR once, awhile back, and it was a PITA.  Never tried FB on the network.

I primarily use the Squeezebox Touch.  While the SBT can be finicky when running the server on my laptop, on my QNAP NAS and running QLMS, it is very stable.  I currently have the SBT feeding a Topping NX4 DSD DAC into my, now vintage, Linn system and I am happy.  I have tried running  Minimserver into my Oppo BRD but finding a reliable and stable control point on my iPad is an excercise in frustration...and I have tried a few, including BubbleUPNP.  I primarily use the Minimserver and my phone or Sony DAP into my Edifier Active speakers when I am in the garage.  Works...OK.

I read most of the threads on the RPi and my interpretation is that it is not really more stable than my SBT and when troubleshooting is warranted, requires Command Line stuff and I am not interested.  I also read the Rendu threads and the (seemingly) constant need to UPdate/Save/Restart in the proper order just gives me chills.  When the SBT bites the dust, I will need to either get my feed to the Oppo working more reliably or try an RPi...I am not willing to spend much more than that on my system.

19 hours ago, firedog said:

It's way exaggerated there by a few users with problems. I'm pretty sure for the vast majority there is no issue and the rendus "just work". 

Sure it is exaggerated just like I stated my "fear" of the RPi/Linux...But I want something that works like my stove where I have replaced one flame sensor in 12 years.  Note that my Linn Majik/Keilidh are over 20 yrs, the 2250 I picked up used nearly 10 years ago.  I think my SBT is finally stable as I have it back on the NAS but it has only been 3-4 weeks.  Hence I am interested in how stable your Volumio will be once you have it set up.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:46 AM, R1200CL said:

If you add a LPS-1.2 power supply to that SBT, you get a quite nice lift in SQ. (Plug is 2,5 mm). 

Add the EDO upgrade to get 192 support. 

And, yes, the SBT is very stable. 

Thanks but I do not have any complaints about the audio quality.  Besides I am not going to spend $400+ to "improve" a 10-yr old $300 streamer.

And I should clarify, LMS is not more stable on the NAS and necessarily the SBT.  I had been running LMS on my laptop but with frequent travel, the on/off regime would cause instability requiring restarts and reboots throughout the chain...with the NAS, always on.