IGNORED

Help for a beginner

1 hour ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

I'm currently shopping for a balanced output DAC too, and it's down to Jotunheim or RME ADI-2 for me.  I've always been a big RME fan because of their Linux support.  If you can wait and save up just a little bit more, or look around used, the ADI-2 might be a good option for you.

I also wonder about something used from Benchmark - do they get low enough in price on the used market to reach the $700 of the OP?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

their DAC2 is supposed to be much better than the DAC1 and fairly close to the DAC3

A list with typical prices would be helpful to many...

The well regarded Pro Ject is not balanced, but only $400

The Okto dac8 is balanced, and has good initial reviews.  ~~same price as the RME.  I have not heard one, but am on the "tour" to do so.

Balanced outs are nice but another option like said is the Pro-ject, it has great specs and people seem to really like them.  Could go that way and maybe get an LPS or start saving for one with what is left over.  The LPS could be used later on even if the Pro-ject gets upgraded.  A combo like that would be great and probably give better overall performance than going all DAC with the budget.

RME may be a stretch at this budget.  They'll pop up used but just above the OP's price point.

One option for you, and you'd have to play around with the pricing:

Senn 6xx (or 600) from Massdrop/Ebay/wherever: 200 - 250 dollars

HRT Music Streamer HD DAC (provides both Single Ended and Balanced outputs) - 300 dollars (roughly)

Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom - 100 bucks

Pangea Audio Premier or Premier SE USB cable - 20 to 40 bucks

And you'd be set.