IGNORED

HDCD feedback and information thread

10 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have been curious about HDCD for a while. What is your experience with it? 

I owned a Pacific Microsonics Model Two for many years. I played around extensively with the various HDCD processes for 16/44.1, and always ended up preferring no HDCD processing. Above 16-bit, there was no HDCD processing applied by the Model One/Two.

When you play an HDCD-encoded 16/44.1, you generally have no idea exactly what HDCD processing was applied. (Hopefully the HDCD.exe decoder in your SW player is smart enough to figure this out, if you're not using a built-in HW decoder in your DAC/CD-player.)

For me, the biggest benefit of using HDCD-encoded CDs or files is that they were mastered on a Model One/Two, which was, and still is, a simply superb ADC. 16/44.1 is good, but try getting hold of some 24/176.4 or 24/192 mastered on a Model One/Two. Reference Recordings is the obvious source. The 24/192 of Kind of Blue was created using a Model Two. If there's any way you can play these files back natively (with no filtering or SDM), the sound quality is stunning.

HTH.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

25 minutes ago, mansr said:

Does it still exist? Honest question.

HDCD 16/44.1, I don't think so - I can't imagine why anyone would do use HDCD processing nowadays. But 'HDCD' 24/176.4 or 24/192, definitely. But they're not really HDCD (see previous post).

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

On 4/6/2019 at 10:17 PM, Axiom05 said:

Also note that some CD's from other labels that claim to be HDCD encoded really are not encoded, they are just plain CD's that were recorded using a PM2 ADC.

If the labels used a PM1/2, they certainly had the ability to encode HDCD fully. But whether they did or not would be down to whether they invoked any of the various HDCD encoding processes in the PM1/2.

When I had my PM2, I could create fully encoded 16/44.1 HDCD files. I chose not to, because I preferred the sound with no HDCD encoding at all - perhaps other labels shared my preference?

Actually, I created very few encoded/non-encoded 16/44.1 files - I much preferred the sound of 24/176.4 or 24/192, where the PM2 starts sounding really magical.

Mani.

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Mani, are you able to provide me an encoded file made with your former PM2 and the original unencoded file? 

Will have a look Jesus, but not sure if I'll be able to find any - it was a while ago now, and I gave up on 16/44.1 pretty quickly from what I can recall. Leave it with me...

Mani.