IGNORED

Audiogate

chrisg3

I am new to this forum, want to share some good news. Audiogate software is now available without Korg DSD recorder activation: https://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/index.html

It will record DSD disk from from dsd iff or from dsd dsf files. It converts dsd formats to 24/96 WAV. Sony Playstation 3 owners may enjoy DSD native playback to home cinema/stereo system plus PCM conversion for computer playback. Great news - I am planning DSD download shortly. Tried few DSD samples - sound great.

Perhaps Sony hardware owners will benefit most but it's great to have one more decent format converter and player.

ChrisG

Have had a play with this, I think it is quite awesome on converted (from AIFF) DSF files.

I was not expecting it to be quite so good, but I can't convert my entire library, but I am tempted...even if the tweeting thing is a little bit much.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

I had only few diff samples, no dsf. My Discwelder Bronze 1000m (Minnetonka) doesn't not convert diff files at all.

I have large dsddsf download pending (David Elias- The Window) but from my current location it is not going to happen for another 4 weeks - very slow internet connection. Will download during Christmas holidays when back home and post my findings on converting to PCM. I also think it can do 24/192.

Twitting as a bit...strange, not real problem though:)

not converted up until now. I have them in 24/96 too (converted by Cookie, and downloaded from BCR site). I converted the DSF's to 24/176.4 and to tell you the truth i like the newly converted files slightly better (although not blind, placebo could be intruding, etc). They seem less digital, edges seem more natural.

I will convert my 2L DIF files again to 24/176, after having done that via my PhilipsProTech converter a few months ago. I imagine that comparison will be somewhat futile, though...dunno.

I don't know HQ player - is it Sony software? I know Foobar can play DSD well (with dsddll extension, not sure I have filename right).

I love BCR downloads. IMO they better than many HD downloads from other sites (no names mentioned). Is it recording technique, or artists, or both, don't know. Their music just get straight to me. Just love it.

DSD converters are indeed very rare. Meitner (EMM Labs) DSD converters are very expensive and more suited for professional use. I really don't know if there are any "audiophile" grade standalone DSD converters for home use.

I guess for now we are stuck with Playstation 3 and analogue outputs to stereo/cinema system. There are also one or two Sony universal players which can play DSD disks. Hopefully with more DSD music available converters (and players) will follow.

Other option is to purchase one of Korg or Tascam dsd recorders. They could be used as DSD players. Large LP collections owners could probably justify expense better and use recorders for archiving vinyl. If they are willing to go trough all associated pain...

To be future proof I would opt for dsd download (where available) and then convert to PCM for computer playback or play the via Foobar, WMP (or HQ player).

I heard certain Sony laptops are capable of playing DSD files natively. They have DSD decoding chip built in the hardware. There is also Sony software add-on to windows media player to play DSD format on non-sony laptops.

"editable" SACD players. Most of the DSD source music is from SACD software anyway. It's not like you can send the output of these DSD player's disks to a DAC or anything.

Playback Designs will intro USB capabilities on their new $5-6K DAC (and later retro to their Model 5 DAC and player) that can handle up to 5.6Mhz DSD. I'll check out at CES and report back.

I am not expert in digital processing :). My understanding is that signal in DSD disk player (or playstation 3) after processing by onboard DSD chip (decoder?recorder?) is analogue. It does not require any further processing (except maybe filtering). Not sure what do you mean by "editable" SACD player.

defined, i.e you can burn them like a mix disc or compilation. But then are played like an SACD disc. How many of us would choose a Playstation 3 as our go-to SACD player, with average-at-best analog stage, etc.

Playstation 3 is not meant for audiophile replay...Having said that, I heard many run-of-the-mill marantz cd players "tweaked" by electronic boffins. They sounded appreciably better than price tag suggested. Keeps me wondering if analog stage on PS3 could be upgraded...

• 1 month later...

though Audiogate can export or convert audio files up to 192k. Thus it seems if one uses Audiogate to convert (upsample or downsample) audio files to 176.4k or 192k, users should not use Audiogate to play these files since Audiogate will downsample these files to 96k max. IMO Windows users would be better served using HQPlayer.

I hope a future version of Audiogate will correct this. What I'd really like to see is the ability for native playback of any audio file up to DSD128 since I believe that conversions often incur sonic penalties. Of course I may be spoiled with my Korg MR-2000S where native playback at all resolutions up to DSD128 is possible.

One benefit that I did not think of until I installed Audiogate v2.1.0.3 onto my computers is that finally have a good control for comparing my Windows and Mac computers. Using the same player software on all computers makes this less of an apples to oranges comparison. That is assuming Audiogate is not like iTunes that sucks undo Windows but is good under Mac OS(X).

But Audiogate is limited on my Windows computers

Under Audio Device my only choices are:

Direct Sound

ASIO

Under Driver name I have several choices including:

Primary Sound Driver

Digital Output (Juli@ Audio)

Digital Output (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)

SPDIF Interface (2-Hiface 1.0.3 Usb to Spdif (44.1 Khz – 192Khz))

Speakers (Juli@ Audio)

Speakers (Juli@ Audio) (2)

Speakers (Juli@ Audio) (3)

Under Sample Rate my only choices are:

44.1kHz

48kHz

88.2kHz

96kHz

Under Buffer Size my choices are:

When I move the Hiface to my MacBook Pro with Core Audio I get the 176.4k and 192k sample rate and a buffer size of 32 but no 4096.

Obviously both the Juli@ and Hiface digital interfaces are capable of 24/192 under Windows and they work perfectly with all my other software. I may be wrong but I think there is a Audiogate bug under Vista or Win 7. Perhaps another Windows user can confirm my findings.

I just set up the Realtek High Definition Audio device, which is capable of 24/192 as the default audio device driver in my Win 7 computer.

When I go to the Audiogate Preference setting under Edit, my choices under Sample Rate are still 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96. Audiogate therefore plays back all my audio files to any 96k or lower setting. However the Audiogate export (convert) function of audio files to 176.4 or 192k works fine.

That two seemingly similar setups be so different, is a real puzzle.

After updating the drivers for the Juli@ digital interface I was able to get 176.4k and 192k playback.

Still no luck with 176.4k or 192k Audiogate playback using my Hiface with the latest drivers (Version 1.03), though the Hiface plays all other software properly at these resolutions. Perhaps a future version will work later.

It may also be that the drivers for the Realtek device need to be updated but since I never use this motherboard device, why bother.

Such are the trials and tribulations of computer audio. Thanks for all your help and if someone ever reports that Audiogate works perfectly with the Hiface I will investigate further.

• 8 months later...

audiogate has been updated. Download from :

http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/download.html

Main content of the update

Mac OS X 10.7(Lion) is now supported

AudioGate supports several of the new features of Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Auto sample rate switching function has been added

If you turn on this function, AudioGate will automatically switch the sample rate of the audio device to match the sample rate of the current song.

* If the sample rate of the current song is not supported on the audio device, the sample rate will be set to the highest value of the device.

A new function to automatically open the most recent songlist has been added

If you turn on this function, AudioGate will automatically open the most recent songlist when you start AudioGate.

The Apple Remote is now supported

You can remotely control AudioGate's Play, Pause, Fast-forward, Rewind, Next song and Previous song functions, using the Apple Remote.

WASAPI is now supported

AudioGate supports the new WASAPI*1 audio driver that is available with Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7.

*1 WASAPI shared mode only.

Omitted support for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

Support for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) has been discontinued at this time so that resources can be directed to ongoing development and enhancement moving forward.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA