IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

5 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I was able to complete the image burn onto the USB drive. 
it took some persistence, in the downloader I hit go again and it had told me that I had already downloaded the image did I want to continue, I said yes and it burned the image.

however, I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair hero VII, it was built for me by one of our DIY Heroes. 
I have not been able to book from the USB drive.

I restarted the server with the USB drive plugged into one of the four corners of the six USB 3.1 inputs.

this motherboard does not have an HDMI input or the old blue multi pin input. 
I am not sure how to interface to make sure it is set up for USB or UEIF boot. 
Does anybody have a clue how I hook up a monitor

Let me ask you this first, what chip is on your Dark hero? If it does not have integrated graphics, you're going to have a hard time because without it, the video outputs on the back of the motherboard will not work and you'll be unable to get into the BIOS to set the thing to boot from USB.

edit: If your Hero 7 is like my Dark Hero 8, then I just checked and you're right, it has no video outputs. You're going to need a GPU of some sort.

No electron left behind.

4 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Any UPNP compatibile sw, like RoPieeeXL with UPNP/DLNA enabled.

I did tried it and it worked fine, moOde, Volumio or GentooPlayer should work too

Thanks, I'll give those a try tomorrow. 

edit: Other than Ropiee, are the other 3 Players and not endpoints? Am I missing something in my quick googling?

No electron left behind.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
12 hours ago, al2813 said:

Different question, I have been in discussion with a friend who is like me a madman audiophile 🙂. Our discussion was around ripping CDs. I've heard many times that rips do not sound the same as the original CDs and that the difference is enhanced with more resolving systems (which I believe I have). My friend tells me he has worked for a long time on optimizing the HW aspect of ripping so that he could retire his dedicated CD transport and use only rips by: 

- Optimizing the USB connection between the CD drive and the target HD (use a high quality cable, use IFI idefender on the link)

- low power SSD powered by LPS 

In this specific thread, I am raising the SW part. Euphony 4.0 has a new CD ripping and playback feature. Has anyone investigated this feature or using it regularly? Of course comments on the HW part are welcome. 

Do you use DbPowerAmp to rip CDs?

No electron left behind.

11 hours ago, al2813 said:

No - So far I did not attempt ripping my CDs. I am now investigating a project to do so and use my Euphony server/end point as the only digital source. 

I ask because DbPoweramp will rip your CD and verify that it matches with the accurate rip database. It also allows you to manage where you get your metadata from, change it if you want, edit the cover art, etc... and I don't know if Euphony allows any of that. Having been down this road and learned my lessons the hard way. Rip your CDs right the first time.

I rip with one of these: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

no fancy audiophile ripper, no USB cleaners, none of that. DbPoweramp ensures I get an accurate rip.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

and meta tag search is also important, dbpoweramp accesses several freeware databases and I often merge results to get whats most useful to me

I usually find my album on DIscogs and manually use that metadata or modify it somehow for my needs, but yes, the search of more than one source and the merge function is a very nice feature as well.

edit: Another nice feature is I can rip the CD directly to my network share from my Mac.

No electron left behind.