IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

22 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Dave,

You should be able to just install the M.2 in your server and then from the Euphony menu install the OS directly onto the M.2. I have done that multiple times.  I do not have my server running right now so I cannot grab a screenshot...

You can pull down the Euphony manual to see how to do this.

bob

Does this copy the license information which is tied to the network card?

I would like to be able to clone my OS m.2 as well in case something goes wrong.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

10 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Is Qobuz not working now in Euphony?

It works great in Euphony.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

The Stylus buffer feature isn't used with Qobuz. Given that HQPlayer has inherent delay before start of play with even local content, does it even matter

if it supported gapless?

Doesn’t Stylus always have 2 songs buffered at any point as it goes through the queue?

2 minutes ago, c-w said:

I believe the documentation confirms what I said.  Plus, one can see what's buffered based on the color of the song "i" icon,

• 2 weeks later...

If I replace my network card and thus change my hardware signature can I move my license on my own or do I have to request a new license key and have it sent to me?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Anyone know what does? I don’t see option to disconnect network? Is this automatic? 

when queue is filled from NAS and fully buffered to RAM and when playback starts - network can be disconnected

I am assuming this means you can manually disconnect from the network.

4 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, yes talked to Zeljko last night. Basically before you could only buffer & play 2 songs if you pulled out the cable. Now you can buffer & play as many as you like then pull cable out. 

I thought one could buffer the entire queue if the files were your own as opposed to being streamed. No?

4 hours ago, flkin said:

I think that a keyboard is pretty harmless but a monitor requires a graphics card. Graphics cards and any powered eternal drive might inject noise or unwanted leakage currents unless their power source is carefully managed. 

It's all a compromise actually how to store the music - internally, externally directly connected, network. Each have many variations and their own Pro and Cons. After applying best practices, I think finally it comes to listening then deciding.

You don't need a graphics card is the motherboard and CPU support on board graphics.

15 hours ago, flkin said:

It all depends on the motherboard specs.  The specs will state if onboard graphics is present...or if such is supported with a given CPU (the CPU specs will reflect whether it provides graphics capability).

Many older motherboards came with onboard graphics but...as many higher power boards cater to gamers today, I would not expect a newer/recent board to provide onboard graphics (gamers tend to prefer discrete GPU cards).

I expect that motherboards without graphics support is probably best for audio applications as it allows the graphics card to be removed after the streamer is setup properly. This is what I do with my Pink Faun gaming board and I hear a difference with and without the card installed.

Isn't that what I said (with a type of "is" instead of "if")?  

Even many of today's high powered Intel motherboards have  onboard graphics support.  Many AMD don't seem to.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

There is another issue with Euphony - pop sound with sample rate change. I tried two different DACs with different USB receiver (XMOS and JLSound). Both of them have the same issue. The pop is very prominent when you click on the next track which happens to be of a different sample rate than the one that is currently playing. For example, if I am playing 44.1K and I click next in the middle of it, if the next track is 48K, it would pop loudly. When transitioning to next track as a result of current track finishing, its not so evident. I filed a ticket but they left in hanging saying its a DAC issue. I am wondering if anyone else has this issue as well ?

I was playing a 16/44.1 file and then went to a 16/48 file.  No click.

My experience has been that this is always the DAC.  One of my DACs doesn’t like changes in sampling frequency.  I don’t get a pop but I have to cycle through the inputs to get it to re-lock on the signal.

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Did you try other sample rate, like 192K and 176.4K ? I will check with the DAC manufacturer (one being Lampizator in my case) and see what they have to say but I suspect they will point it as Linux issue.

I just tried a 192k file.  No click.  I have a Lampizator Pacific.

Just now, Dev said:

Ok, thanks. Do you know if it uses Amanero or the JL Sound USB receiver ? I remember my Denafrips Terminator had the same issue and a firmware update resolved it.

It uses JL Sound.

Drop Fred a line and see what he says.

What is the process for moving a license to a new net card?  I am upgrading to the JCAT XE.

2 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Open a support ticket on Euphony site and ask for new key based on new hardware fingerprint

And where do I get the fingerprint?  Does Euphony produce it?

3 hours ago, biosailor said:

The tracks of an individual album are perfectly well contained in one single folder. I'll contact Euphony. It's annoying!

My guess is that your tags are different and that's why they files show up as different albums.  If they are in different folders they will show up separately as well.

Any chance you can put 2 tracks that you think should be in the same album in dropbox and we can look at the tags?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, ASRMichael said:

Settings menu - System info Tab - 9th item down on the list

I thought this would be easy...

I installed the new card and send the new fingerprint via a support ticket.  I was sent a new voucher code.  When I enter it on the registration page I am getting an "incorrect voucher code" error.  I emailed them about it but I haven't gotten a response.  Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

My error.  I wasn't entering it in the right place.  All set.

Is it possible to register your HQ Player license for Euphony if you have an existing license?  I have a license for 4.x.  The Euphony process seems to imply that you are getting a license to use in Euphony.  Maybe I need to get an embedded license.

37 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Euphony's library management is a disgrace!

I basically have to jump from album to album and correct each one for proper tagging. In such a way, it works, but it is tedious, to say the least!

Yesterday, even worse, Roon's library got completely mixed up: clicking one album reviewed a completely different album underneath.

Euphony should definitely do something about it. For a software costing this much, I expect at least sound library management!

Why is Euphony at fault if the tags are wrong?  Every software program manages tags differently and has its own convention.  I have had issues with Roon at times as well.  

10 minutes ago, biosailor said:

I finally found out what the problem with my library and Euphony Stylus was! The file structure in my library was artist folder containing several albums of the same artist. While in other players, like Audirvana, such file structure worked without problems, but Euphony gets confused. I simply dragged the individual albums into Euphony, and so far it works without hiccups! One exception, though, is one album that gets stubbornly split into two. I do suspect a tagging problem with this album.

I am not sure why having multiple albums in a folder is an issue.  That’s how my entire music collection is organized.  I have a folder for each artist and within that folder I have folders for each album.  Euphony has no issues with that.

My only pet peeve is that if you have a CD1 and CD2 folder they will appear as separate albums even if all the tags are the same.

3 hours ago, biosailor said:

Let's see how stable the library is. Once I reached a stable library, I see if this nasty Roon mix up re-occurs. But I tackle step-by-step and I am satisfied that I reached at least this level!

For what it's worth, there are many ways to configure Roon with respect to how it process your library.  You may have some "bad" Roon setting which is making decisions about your library that are contrary to what you want.  It isn't as though there is only 1 Roon approach.

In the end, Euphony will sort your music based on the tags.  In many ways it is much simpler than Roon which tries to apply its own view of your music into the library view.

18 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Still trying to get some Apacer RAM for NUC8i7 to replace the Crucial memory I have but looks like COVID has shut down shipments to US?  Only seems to show up

in weird places where I don't trust shippers/customs.

Have you contacted Apacer directly?

6 minutes ago, biosailor said:

As you say, Roon's library management is fantastic with all its features. My impression has always been that this is more important to Roon than sound quality. On the other hand, I wished Euphony would be just a bit more feature-laden! In many ways it reminds me of Audirvana, but sound wise it's even better.

I don’t disagree that Roon has a lot of non-audio features but I am curious what you think you are missing in Stylus with respect to library management features.  It doesn’t pull information from anywhere than the audio files themselves, something that Roon does a ton of, but I think it organizes a library well.

This is not an attempt to convince people about Stylus but I am curious what people find problematic about finding their music in Stylus.  I have used jriver (which is the most powerful in terms of setting up views and rules) and Roon (which has the nicest interface but its rules limitations for each focus is limited) but I don’t find Stylus too bad as long as you clean up your tags.  The systems is unforgiving with respect to tags but once you clean them up I find stylus to be fine.

I have a number of filters which allow me to get to my music pretty quickly.  Once I set them up I found the software to be decent to good.

I can’t comment on classical music since I have very little in my library.  I do know that most people seem to complain about organizing classical music in most audio software platforms.

Roon can fill in the gaps for some tagging issues if you let it make its own decisions.  I never liked doing that.

I agree that the fact that local and streaming files aren’t integrating is a pain.  That is a great feature in Roon.  You don’t have to think about whether the file is yours or Tidal’s/Qobuz’s.