IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, aangen said:

I am sad streaming is broken. I signed up and paid for a one year subscription to Qobuz and minutes later Euphony loses it's ability to stream it. Bah.

The fault is with Qobuz - they recently changed something in their protocols. Numerous streaming methods were broken as a result. This is not Euphony's fault. 

There is a similar thread in the Microrendu section — for this person the problem was with the Linn Kazoo control app. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

There is a software update for Roon. Do I need to disable Ramroot first before installing the update?

you can also do the update within roon and then do a save system in AL when done.  that's how i did it.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

What do you mean by AL?

I'm an idiot - thought I was in the Audiolinux thread. Please ignore my suggestion as I know nothing about Euphony!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Yes... Roon has a fuzzy quality compared to Stylus in my 1 box system.

Have been going back and forth lately between the two trying to get Roon to sound better.  From best to worse

1. WIn/Roon server on AMD PC-- media on Synology NAS -- i7NUC as Stylus endpoint

2. Euphony/i7NUC as Roonserver/endpoint with local HD

3. Euphony/i7NUC as Roonserver/endpoint -- media on Synology NAS

4.Win/Roonserver on AMD PC with local HD--i7NUC as stylus endpoint

this surprised me as my best sound with Roon eliminates RAAT. Using #1, its a tossup between Roon and Stylus, Stylus has better transients but Roon doesn't accentuate

irritants on CD quality recordings.

All  comparisons done in normal Stylus mode, I find loading to RAM creates treble irritants and accentuates odd order harmonics.

How does #1 eliminate RAAT?  Doesn't Stylus set up as a Roon endpoint mean that Roon server uses RAAT to feed the Stylus endpoint?  Just asking 'cause I don't know . . . .

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

No, StylusEP interacts with Roon Core by presenting itself as a Squeezebox endpoint. Roon supports Squeezeboxes (see https://kb.roonlabs.com/Squeezebox_Setup), which at a technical level means it supports the SlimProto protocol. This is different from RAAT.

Ah, that explains it!

On 12/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, davide256 said:

Have been going back and forth lately between the two trying to get Roon to sound better.  From best to worse

1. WIn/Roon server on AMD PC-- media on Synology NAS -- i7NUC as Stylus endpoint

2. Euphony/i7NUC as Roonserver/endpoint with local HD

3. Euphony/i7NUC as Roonserver/endpoint -- media on Synology NAS

4.Win/Roonserver on AMD PC with local HD--i7NUC as stylus endpoint

this surprised me as my best sound with Roon eliminates RAAT. Using #1, its a tossup between Roon and Stylus, Stylus has better transients but Roon doesn't accentuate

irritants on CD quality recordings.

i just wanted to loop back -- based on your testing, using roon rock on my nuc8i5 server, i tried using AL with squeezelite on my endpoint (i don't have euphony).  i found that squeezelite sounded much better than roon bridge -- roon bridge seemed overly muted/reserved.  squeezelite provided the life and energy that i'm looking for.

so with all of the testing and comparisons with AL and euphony, i wonder if it was simply RAAT that creating the difference in sound.

2 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

I have the same config for my headphone rig, squeezelite is a little bit better/clearer for music up to 24/96. Roon endpoint is much better for higher res and DSD format. It looks like downsampling is more detrimental to SQ than buffering in memory?

i actually didn't do my comparison using higher res files -- i was using 16/44 and 24/96 so there wasn't any up or down sampling.  

i don't understand why the higher bit rate/depth files sounded better with roon bridge.  with squeezelite, are you saying you were getting too much clarity (making it sound brittle, maybe?) with higher res files?

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

right, your storage is local to core vs remote NAS. Can't run LMS on same machine as Roon core

i'm also confused. i run roon rock on a nuc and store music on my nas.  i can run squeezelite on my endpoint and play music without running lms anywhere.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Euphony uses some low tech fanless computer eg the zotac. Which are cheap and only low power CPU chip. Good budget but may.not be adequate for stronger processing power with huge music files. Or do upsampling etc. 

i'm not clear on your comment.  you don't have to buy hardware from euphony -- you can buy the software and use whatever hardware you want.