IGNORED

DeltaWave null-testing audio comparator (beta)

8 hours ago, Arpiben said:

Hi Paul,

Do you mind having a look at phase delta artefacts/noises ? It is a minor issue but Delta Phase result is not steady at high frequencies.

This is not specific to actual release and was present before.

Comparing two identical files and pressing successively SHOW leads to slight different results at every sequence/press.

For example:

DPhase.thumb.jpg.9790f82908e0cb1a11c6a668d0869a56.jpg 

Load this file and make the L-R comparison with it. I like the delta of the phase.

Senza titolo.wav

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Hi Tom,

A simple sine-wave can't be properly aligned using DeltaWave because every cycle looks exactly like any other cycle anywhere in the waveform. The method of determining clock drift relies on the fact that a correct delay/offset can be measured at multiple parts of the waveform. Since there are as many ways to align the waveform as there are cycles when using a sine-wave, DW can't compute clock drift properly. I did promise a long time ago to look into handling simple waveforms like this, but it's not going to work right with the current version.

You can still try to align this by trying just the non-linear phase EQ, but turn off all other correction options, especially drift correction. For this, the file sample size should be much longer compared to the FFT size specified in the non-linear EQ settings. Or, you can use the Manual Adjustment window and enter the correct offset directly.

Okay, good to know.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Here's the delta of spectra between L and L channels of this file:

image.thumb.png.1afe5450db2a34a1f4017ee911044d5e.png

And here's Left and Right channel comparison:

image.thumb.png.b5b912e793bc1d9cfccb3bb3e312f706.png

Are you seeing something different than this?

Try MATCH rather than SHOW
The two signals are the same, and should provide bit perfect.
Only the right is out of 7 samples.

2019-09-26_153107.jpg

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm still not seeing the same behavior here. But I'm working on an updated version of DW, so maybe it's related to the fix I'm putting in for the issue Arpiben reported where phase and spectrum delta could show some small errors, despite being bit perfect. I'll post it here soon, maybe you can re-test it then.

Ok, 😉

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Deactivate this for complex signals.  Only turn this on when you know that you are measuring a simple periodic waveform.

When enabled, this will not do any clock drift corrections and will do a much simpler cross-correlation and offset computation to find the fractional offset. The reason is that phase slope cannot be accurately computed from a single tone or even a few tones.

Paul, you say you don't use simple alignment with complex signals ... instead I get almost theoretical null results with the use of simple alignment on a pink noise loopback then comparing the digital file with the one acquired in analog.
I believe that we must always try as a valid alternative.

22 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

The simplest way to eliminate the influence of an ADC on frequency response is to record the source twice, inverting ADC phase between the captures. Then add the two captures and divide by two. This does have the unfortunate effect of reducing noise by √2, but harmonic distortions should stay constant.

Hi Paul, can you explain better what you mean by this process? maybe it's something I do as well but ... when you talk about inverting the ADC add and then split I can't translate it