IGNORED

Drobo or... what?

19 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

benefits of the Drobo such as ease of use, speed...

Have to admit that was pretty good humor.  

What do you feel makes your use case align with Drobo usage?  Surely you don't update and create enough data on a daily basis to require one these humping away.  I mean they are a replacement for tape storage.

Because I've been involved in computers my whole working life. I started by keeping the classic tape drives, straight from the old movies, alive - would you believe they used domestic vaccuum cleaner motors to keep the tape loop in the right position? And they were constantly going bad, meaning the tape could be chewed up.

Data storage is a fascinating business, if the goal is to ensure always being able to retrieve precious data - many a slip between what may seem trivial, and the real world - Murphy's Law.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

There's nothing humorous intended. They make desktop models, I am not sure how many people had tape storage on their desktops.

My awareness of them was through photographers/videographers with significant legacy customer data which could need to be called up and revised in short order.  Slow, noisy, and temperamental instantly came to mind.  Especially the slow part.  I took it you had a professionals interest in secure storage of private data. 

This doesn't appear to be my ball of wax so I'll bow out.  Best of luck.

First of all, my music collection is on there. My iMac has an SSD inside it which is too small for all my music. I also like having all my photos here, and yes there are videos as well. Some that are very old and were transferred from VHS. Fast was an assumption based on the speed of thunderbolt 3 which is what the new ones are using as well as a small SSD to speed up transfer of commonly accessed files. The one I have now is no faster than a regular USB 2 drive. However, a regular USB drive doesn't have the ability to grow as I add data to it, nor to continue operating when 2 disks fail at once. Is there anything that does this other than the Drobo?

No electron left behind.