IGNORED

Don’t trust your hearing (zero=zeeber, zebra, steriods..)

STC

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

This in fact is an important test of audio playback - if your hifi sounds worse when not paying attention, your brain has to put too much effort into descrambling the info; a competent rig can be completely ignored, even at very high volumes; and if you slightly move your focus towards the sound, if sounds "perfect" - nothing strikes one as being out of place, you don't have "to sort it out", mentally.

The "homogenised sum" type of sound means that anomalies in the sound are too disturbing, and your mind is fighting to extract the musical bits from all the 'noise' issues - whether you're fully "actively listening", or completely passive in how you're paying attention, convincing playback always comes across the same, subjectively.

You’ll hear exactly the same thing with live music  so nothing to do with a hi-fi.  Try having a conversation while there’s live music playing in the background. The music is heard as background noise. Here’s an everyday example. Sit out in a garden with a lot of traffic noise....if you’re not paying attention you’ll eventually cease to hear it other than as background interference. Pay attention and you’ll be able to identify cars, bikes and trucks as they pass. Its an attention thing, not a hi-fi thing. 

Yes, the cocktail party effect is a basic component of human hearing - but I was reacting to your choice of words, "your hi-fi will sound a lot poorer as sounds smear into one another. When reading, a voice may sound a little harsh ..." . I'm very much aware of how less than optimal playback sends out these signals - I find if my setup is working at a poorer level for whatever reason, and I try and concentrate on something requiring analytical processing, that that "background noise" will drives me nuts!! Part of my mind knows it sounds bad, and I feel highly agitated that the SQ is off kilter.

Consider being at a garden party, and a live string group is playing, while you converse. Then substitute a hifi playing the same type of music, at the same peak volume levels - will the "background noise" be as benign, in both cases?