IGNORED

Don’t trust your hearing (zero=zeeber, zebra, steriods..)

STC

50 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

And some people actually take you guys advice on SQ?  LOL  If you pay close attention you hear zero all the way.  If less than close attention your mind starts putting the syllables together differently.  

The video is about zeros or zebras but many viewers perceived the sound so. The original video did not cause the illusion. Although, you dont hear the zero which sounds more like a regular beat in that. 

I was just sharing what I thought interesting when comments made if they are hearing other words than zero.

Another auditory illusion like this.

55 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

And some people actually take you guys advice on SQ?  LOL  If you pay close attention you hear zero all the way.  If less than close attention your mind starts putting the syllables together differently.  

What has it to do with advice on SQ, it is an illustration of a point on perception and its fallibility.

Some of the biggest blind and non blind testing is done using modified rhyme tests for the correct perception of spoken words, especially critical when there is no visual guide and the speaker may have a different accent than the user.  This video illustrates nicely how your perception can wander.

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

If you pay close attention you hear zero all the way.  If less than close attention your mind starts putting the syllables together differently.

Start the video at 50% or 75% or 25% etc. also zeroes out. :)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

At first I thought I heard "mercy", but within a few seconds I decided on "zero".  My ten-year-old daughter immediately said "zero". 

I started the video about 20 seconds or so in so I wasn't prompted by the math question at the beginning.  Also the playback chain was a phone connected to a car audio system through Bluetooth.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Who is Rosie?

The name of the person behind SIRI's voice                                                                                                                                                                     ?

Ok got the name of the illusion. It is known as phantom word.

This is more interesting. Listen with one speakers first. Put your headphones and listen again. Try with your stereo loudspeakers. Get drunk and listen again. 

We all might hear different words. Very subjective like most things in audio. 

http://philomel.com/mp3/phantom_words/ex/phantom_words_ex1.mp3

http://philomel.com/mp3/phantom_words/ex/phantom_words_ex2.mp3

http://philomel.com/mp3/phantom_words/ex/phantom_words_ex3.mp3

Thinking aloud.  Can random hypersonic sound trigger such effect?

Just as  we 'see' visual objects that correspond to those that are familiar to us, we also 'hear' phantom words and phrases that relate to our experiences.

Great. So we better stop telling what we hear in the examples provided (on the Internet). Haha.

Should be nice for lie-detectors.

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 2/7/2019 at 1:14 AM, Blackmorec said:

This can happen with a hi-fi. If while listening you read a book, for example, the chances are your hi-fi will sound a lot poorer as sounds smear into one another. When reading, a voice may sound a little harsh, but pay attention and you may realise that what you’re actually hearing is a voice plus some high frequency instrument played in the background.  Its a result of the way we focus.  In listening to hi-fi, if you lack focus, what you hear is the homogenised sum of all instruments. If you focus, you can either focus on individual instruments or on the interplay between all the instruments, but this takes active listening. 

This in fact is an important test of audio playback - if your hifi sounds worse when not paying attention, your brain has to put too much effort into descrambling the info; a competent rig can be completely ignored, even at very high volumes; and if you slightly move your focus towards the sound, if sounds "perfect" - nothing strikes one as being out of place, you don't have "to sort it out", mentally.

The "homogenised sum" type of sound means that anomalies in the sound are too disturbing, and your mind is fighting to extract the musical bits from all the 'noise' issues - whether you're fully "actively listening", or completely passive in how you're paying attention, convincing playback always comes across the same, subjectively.

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

If the electric guitar hadn't been invented, this had not existed. Angus probably hadn't moved to Australia and he also would not have moved house "back" to 30 minutes from where I live. If I see this video, I feel famous.

XXHighEnd (developer)